classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1951 Austin of England A40 Devon Pickup
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan,

I'm sorry to hear of your need to sell her. Nice old ute. I'm sure you'll easily find a buyer.

Peter
alangregory2448

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 Austin of England A40 Devon Pickup Reply with quote

[The Austin went to a new owner on the
17/11/12 He is a mechanic originally from the U.K. so I believe it will be well looked after

re turning indicators, without any modern type of flashing indicator lights fitted.
There has been an English made period valve car radio installed, which was recently re-conditioned by an expert vintage radio restorer.

British Motor Industry Heritage Trust Production Record Trace Certificate tells us that this vehicle car/chassis number GQC4/620674 was built on 13th September 1951, and was an export R.H.D. in Grey Primer, destined for Australia.
The owner believes it came into Western Australia as a cab chassis, with the cargo tray built and added locally.

In August 1951 a revised version of the Devon sedan appeared with column gear change, a new centrally located instrument panel, new designed steering wheel, and fully hydraulic brakes to replace the original Girling hydro-mechanical system, and the A40 shown here would have been one of the first batch built with these updated features.
With the exception of stronger rear suspension, “low range” four speed gearbox, 17in. wheels and “low diff. Ratio”, the A40 Pick-up was mechanically the same as it’s very popular Devon sedan sisters, although due to the drive train changes the comfortable highway cruising speed was 45mph. to 48mph, some 10mph less than the Devon sedans.

The now 61year-old owner acquired this now 58year-old vehicle in May 1986, after it had
been lying idle and open to the elements for some 15 yrs in Western Australia, and surprisingly there was only very minimal rust and no dents or accident damage to the body panels, and no rust to the chassis.
After extensive restoration over 14 months the Austin was approved and registered for full road use.

This Austin A40 Pick-up is driven regularly around Bunbury in the South West of Westren Australia covering on average around 35 miles per week, just as the owner had driven his fathers 1954 Austin A40 Hi-Lite utility after learning to drive in it in the mid 1960’s.

As a matter of interest this Austin has been refurbished and restored to be presented and driven on the road as in original used condition, and still maintains the original semaphore turning indicators, without any modern type of flashing indicator lights fitted.
There has been an English made period valve car radio installed, which was recently re-conditioned by an expert vintage radio restorer.

[/img][img]
[/img][img]
[/img][img]
[/img][img]
[/img][img]
[/img][img][/img][/quote]
alangregory2448

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Yeah its a cracking little truck, I'm pondering about selling mine but seeing pics like this makes me think twice (and more!!)

R
The Austin got a new owner on 17/11/12 and I believe it has gone to a good home where it will be well looked after and kept on the road for many years to come. The current owner is originally from the UK, and he is a mechanic and has contacts in the UK to obtain parts which are getting very difficult to obtain in Australia now.
Cheers from Alan.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any plans for a suitable replacement?? Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
alangregory2448

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will keep my eyes open for an Austin Healy Sprite Mk1, where someone has already done all the restoration work, and then wants to onsell as for whatever reason that exists ie deceased estate or perhaps due to entering a retirement unit where there is no storage parking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: