classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Exhaust Gas Analyser
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Exhaust Gas Analyser Reply with quote

I picked up one of these at Glamis. Needless to say it doesn't work. Does anyone happen to have operating instructions or principles of operation for it?

Peter

Last edited by peter scott on Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter

If its anything like an older one that I have its based on a wheatstone bridge , the co2 sensor generates heat (from a catalitic reaction with C02) and a thermistor fixed on the sensor changes resistance, this resistor is part of the bridge and the meter is the galvonometer across the bridge.

Hope this make sence!!

Cheers Dave
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying Dave. I'll give your description some thought. Actually since reporting it faulty I discovered that I was missing one of the water collectors on the rear but fortunately my wife came up with a suitable shampoo bottle and the analyser appears to be working. It has two scales,
0-2% and 0-10% and it has a more prominent graduation at 4.5%.

I'm not sure what reading I should calibrate it to in fresh air but have been using a value of 2% as this figure is used in the Gunsen analysers.

Do you happen to know what calibration reading is correct and what the significance of the 4.5% is?

Thanks,

Peter
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter

I have a couple of these things, a Gunson one where as you say is calibrated to 2% in fresh air and one on a Crypton tuner where you set it to 0%. By way of a check you could see what reading it gave on something that has just had an MOT where an emmisions test has been done, adjust to match the MOT reading and then see what the fresh air reading is?

The significance of the 4.5% is that this relates to what C02 the optimum 14.7:1 mixture ratio will produce.

Dave
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave.

P.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: