classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What do you do with your Classic?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
rangerover125

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: What do you do with your Classic? Reply with quote

I've just returned from a few days away in the wifes new Cheltenham Nyala after a very rushed time getting it useable including rebuilding one side where the supports had actually totally rotted away. Anwyay people were amazed we actually use it for holidays, so I'm interested to know what do you use yours for.
Ours attends rallies mostweekends but is also used as an everyday caravan, best wishes Steve
captinbash

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: what do you do with your classic Reply with quote

We are going to use it as intended, as an everyday caravan, going to shows etc but also as our holiday home on wheels, infact we are hoping to get our first trip away in the Viking within the next couple of weeks. Very Happy
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have said elsewhere, I use my Safari as an office at the Classic Car Shows I organise, usually arriving the night before to set up the display area, and staying overnight at my two day shows.

I also attend the European classic caravan meeting every year if I can.

My six year old grandson loves coming away in it as well so we usually do a couple of 2-3 day trips, visiting museums, zoos, or other attractions while we are away.

Every year I have plans to do a longer UK trip but so far haven't managed it.
gillberry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rangerover125 we also have a cheltenham nyala and she is our holidays and goes to some classic car shows with us .

We can definitely recommend joining the cheltenham owners club if you haven't already and whitsun week for their annual rally at ledbury is a must as it gives you a chance to look at other cheltenhams to give you an idea of where to go re additions renovations .
Barry Lord

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have six vintage/classic caravans - two Winchesters from 1933 and 1938, a Burlingham from 1949, two Freemans from 1949 and 1958 and a Royale from 1980. We haven't used the Royale for two or three years, but we use all of the others regularly, both as members of the Historic Caravan Club and for ordinary holidays. We often use Caravan Club sites and very often we have several people wanting to peer in the caravans before we've even got the legs down! People often ask us if we sleep in the caravans, which of course we do. With the exception of the Royale, all have working gas lights which we always use.
Dalek63

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all
We have just got a nice 1960 Car Cruiser Clubman and intend to use it as we have our Carlight, which is as a holiday caravan and to show at vintage shows. We already own a 1952 Daimler consort, which is part way through restoration and we had been looking for a caravan to pair it up with. I think we couldn't have done better than the Car Cruiser as both are built like battleships.
On our way back from collection the caravan we broke the journey halfway and stopped at a campsite. Before we could get the legs down we had people coming over to have a look at the old girl !
rangerover125

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been using our Cheltenham for holidays and rallies, all be it with a modern car, even my son now has a 1972 Sprite Musketeer and I have my winter project a 1959 Eccles Avenger which due to lack of running water the wife has said is a rally only van. Inbetween all this people keep asking me to work on their vans, luckily I love restoring them. Give me a field full of caravans to restore and I'm happy lol. Steve
yorkshireretro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerover125: "Give me a field full of caravans to restore and I'm happy lol"

dangerous talk!! we have a safari 15/2 and a cheltenham sable to restore Smile
Brian M

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y-Retro

Did you ever join my Safari group? If so can you let me know your forum name on there.
rangerover125

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son keeps trying to persuade me to restore them for a living lol, I've just found my friend a 1960s Safari 2 berth, all new cushions and curtains for £250 Very Happy
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw someone hosing down a 60s caravan at the roadside the other day, it looked a little weather-worn but could have been a Safari (it had a lantern roof!)

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
rangerover125

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either a happy new owner or one being prepared for sale lol
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some pre-war vans parked in the same spot before now, so I think they either either buy n sell, or restore-buy-sell old vans. Or maybe they just keep collecting and have a load stashed away somewhere Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
rangerover125

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now prewar is one age of van I haven't worked on yet, but I'm still hoping Smile Steve
emmerson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my Royale for 20 weeks holiday last year, and by the time our club rally season ends on January 6th, I'll have had 23 weeks this year, including the ECCR with Brian M. It's what they were built for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: