classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Help with restoration of a Rexette in Australia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Aussiejohn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Help with restoration of a Rexette in Australia Reply with quote

Hello all,thanks to Rick for assistance in joining. I come from near Sale in Victoria Australia, about 120 mile east of Melbourne. The remains of a Rexette 3 wheeler are located nearby and we wish to restore it, but there is more missing than present, so we have a big job ahead because we will have to make the parts. The vehicle was bought by a local doctor in 1905 and remained in his family till 1919, then it went to a self taught engineer who cut the frame up and used the centre section with the engine to power his workshop machinery. The crankcase has stamped into it the number "A37" and the timing cover "37" this is probably the engine number. What we need is someone in Britain that can help with photos measurements and other details. It seems that this car is the only one outside Britain so it deserves to be resurected, quite apart from its history. It was the second car to arrive in this part of the state of Victoria. It probably has never been more than 50 miles from its home since it arrived! The engine is the single cylinder liquid cooled one, so it is an early one. Well the tree has been shaken we will see if anything happens. Thanks for reading this.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John, have you tried contacting any of the larger museums, such as the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu? if you have any pics of a Rexette, by all means post them

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
http://www.3wheelers.com/rexette.html

According to this the National Motorcycle Museum has one.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
roverdriver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Aussiejohn,

What a great find! BTW we are practically neighbours, I live near Leongatha, only about 80 miles from you.

Sorry, I don't have any Rexette bits or even a photo, however according to the 'bible' by G.N. Georgano, the Rex company operated from 1901 to 1914. Joining with Allard in 1902 they produced quite a range of cars

"............... in addition a motor cycle based tricar became available and by 1904 this had evolved into the Rexette, with a car-type frame, a seat for the driver instead of a saddle, a water cooled single cylinder engine started by a handle and a two speed gearbox. It became even more car like in 1905 with the adoption of wheel steering and 3-wheel brakes for a list price of 105 pounds. The 1906 Rexettes had transverse V-twin engines and were available with two seater forecarriages."

I think that the entry in the book was written by the late Michael Sedgwick, so it is just possible that the Montague Motor Museum (Now the National Motor Museum, I believe) might have some more information.

I would think that you not only have something extremely rare for Oz, you have something extremely rare, period! Good luck with the hunt.
Aussiejohn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Thanks to those who replied Reply with quote

Hello again, thanks to Rick, Penman & Dane for their sugestions. The Museums have been contacted and replies are starting. Dane sent an old auction notice with a Rexette on it and the engine number was A52 and it was listed as having 855cc capacity, this engine I haven't seen mentioned anywhere. Is is very close to ours in number so they are probably the same. It seems there is a LOT to learn on this yet. thanks again . John
ps Rick the only pics I have of complete cars and they came off the net, I haven't posted any as yet for fear of ruffling copyright feathers. When I get time I will try and post what we have. If the museums come good with photos I'll ask if they can be used.
Ghost

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is peripheral, possibly off topic even, but as the Rexette in the UK is in a motorcycle museum I suppose there is a connection with the Rex motorcycle company? Good to see it survived, there was a fire at the Birmingham museum some years ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: