classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1950's Pemberton Transport - Help/Advice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
yorkshireretro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: 1950's Pemberton Transport - Help/Advice Reply with quote

We are trying to arrange transport for a 1950's Pemberton 22ft caravan from Burnham on Sea to York. It belongs to a family that have had it for three generations since it was new and are being forced to take it off the site due to its age. The lady who owns it was desperate for it not to go to scrap as it is in immaculate condition. Annoyingly the wheels are siezed so it is going to have to be transported on a truck somehow. Has anybody got any ideas of companies who do this and are reasonably priced or does anyone here have the capability to move this caravan if we pay? We were planning preserve it to use it to hire out for vintage holidays. It would be such a shame if it ends up going for scrap as it is in immaculate near original condition. Smile
rangerover125

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have a word with my friend he has a transporter but the van may be to long for it. Steve
yorkshireretro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerover125 wrote:
I'll have a word with my friend he has a transporter but the van may be to long for it. Steve

thanks, that'd be great - it would be really good to save this caravan, i'll post some photos later on, it is immaculate inside Smile
rangerover125

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick thought, have you put static caravan transportation in on ebay, might be worth checking them out, I asked our local trailer hire company but they have nothing long enough if not I'd have gone down in the Range Rover, best wishes Steve
victor 101

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi yorkshireretro, have you tried Shiply caravan transport, they apparently have around 5,000 company's bidding the lowest price to get a return load, rather than coming home empty.
yorkshireretro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice - I tried transportation via ebay adverts, it was £1000 upwards as it is not towable, didnt think of trying shiply.com which is daft as I use them a lot with work, I have just put an ad up so we'll see what that brings! here's some photos of the outside and interior of the caravan, the one of it getting a paintjob is of the owners late father and was taken 1975!! this is one well cared for caravan, the lady who owns it is really upset at the thought it might have to be scrapped!

fingers crossed for shiply!! Smile

rangerover125

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why they don't want it scrapping, its a beauty. Now those gas lights are just what I'm looking for for my Eccles, might be worth checking the old static at the storage yard I use. Steve
victor 101

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you luck, it would be a shame if it was scrapped, and no doubt upsetting for the owner.
Dalek63

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
You say the wheels are siezed. This could be caused by one or both of the following.
One, the brakes are either jamed on or the brake shoes are stuck to the drums. Solution is to take off the drums and free up the brakes. WD40 on the linkages and and the brake pivot points inside the drum.
Two, the wheel bearings are rusted and stuck, Solution is to take off the brake drum and take off the hubs, usually held on by a large nut, replace old bearings with new ones. You should find a few bearing suppliers in the Yellow Pages. There are two bearings in each hub. The first fix will cost the price of a can of wd40 and the second should be around £50.00. If you carry out these repairs you should be able to tow the old girl without any trouble and save a wack of money on transporters.

Cheers
George
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Does it actually have brakes?
A lot of the holiday type vans only had wheels and a rigid hitch so that they quallified as a mobile home but werent road towable.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
intransit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks to have a proper road worthy axle rather than the lightweight ones used on statics . If its been sat that long I would be tempted to replace the whole axle , also have a GOOD look at the a frame . Hit it with a big hammer and see how much crud falls off and if any holes appear . good luck .
yorkshireretro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all, thanks for all of the advice, I have had a quote via shiply so am just in the process of trying to sort that out! fingers crossed:)
moggy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Whats the latest news then,Hope its good
yorkshireretro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadly i've given in with it, it has to go by the end of this month and the transport people I got from shiply (who were the only ones I can afford) don't seem to be getting back to me so thats that! plus with the site owners not wanting anyone else on there, etc its just too far away from home for me to do much really, i have a phone number for a member of the forum who doesn't live too far away from it who will hopefully go and get whatever parts they can before it is scrapped - i'm still determined to find a 1950's static though, perhaps just one closer to home in the first place might be an idea!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: