classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Engine not starting in the cold
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you leave your head lights on for 30 mins. That will tell you if you battery is stuffed. Easy and cheap. My starter had a dead coil that made it start 3 out of 4 times depending apon where the brushes/commutator were. I just turned my dip beams on ( engine not running) and checked the voltage across the battery, it went from 12.24v to 12.08 in about 15 seconds. I have a fairly new battery and I ran it for 15 miles this morning so it is well charged.
Dax Rush
P3steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before you change the starter first check the engine earth strap they can look ok but be corroded and give a poor conection!
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bet is a dead cell in the battery, or dodgy battery connections. Sadly from experience it is most likely to be the former. A decent auto electrician should be able to check it for you. Suggest you pick one who does NOT sell batteries!! Laughing
PAUL
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to condense the standard tests for starter and circuit:-

Fully charged battery voltage (off load) should be 13.2 volts. It will be higher when just off charge, so apply a load such as a headlamp bulb for a few seconds to remove the surface charge. For reference 12volts is half charged and 11.8volts is as flat as it should ever be allowed to get to prevent damage.

WITH THE ENGINE CRANKING and the plug leads or coil wire disconnected:-
Battery voltage should not fall below 10.8 volts (if battery is sound)
There should be virtually no voltage drop across any circuit connections.
No more than 0.2volt drop across starter switch.
No more than 0.5volt drop across the starter solenoid (large terminal)connections.
At LEAST 9.5volt drop beween starter motor main terminal and starter casing.
Remember starter body to engine, battery terminal clamps and leads, and the bonding strap between engine and vehicle frame unless the battery earth lead goes directly to the engine are all electrical connections.

Start by testing battery performance and then the starter voltage drop. If these are satisfactory your starter is at fault.
If starter voltage drop is low try the other checks because starter voltage drop will ALWAYS be the observed battery voltage LESS the voltage lost in connections and switches. Ideally the whole voltage loss around the circuit (excluding starter motor) should be less than 1 volt.

Good Luck.
Finch661

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much for the replies, i will have a lot to do this weekend. i have had another look at the connections, and the earthing cable is in a bad condition. my mg never came with a battery clamp, so the rocking motion of the battery seems to of broken several strands of the earth. my plan is to replace the earth cable and positive cable (battery to solenoid), install a battery clamp, remove the starter and associated wiring, clean up the starter, clean up all the connections, then refit! i will see if that makes any difference.
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep know that one. I got a cosistent 40mpg to Goodwood and back cruising at around 60mph. Good luck.
Dax Rush
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I would check for poor continuity in the starter power cable as well.
I had a Fiesta on which the engine rocked so much that the cable fractured inside the insulation, sometimes it started sometimes it didn't.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Finch661

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a quick update, i have ordered new earthing straps and a battery clamp set (to stop the battery from moving! i noticed this morning that when i cranked the engine, it was sitting at 6-7V, which im guessing isnt good! when i turn her off then start her again, the volts only fall a little bit. im guessing the battery isnt healthy anymore

i noticed someone said i should look at topping the battery up, how do i check, and what so i top it off with?

i remember when i first bought the car as a project, the alternantor was knacked so the battery was discharged and recharged quite alot, could this be the cause?]

thanks
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you checking the battery voltage across the terminals or the clamps? If your connections between battery terminals and the clamps (or whatever kind of connectors your battery has) you WILL get a low and sometimes varying voltage, BUT THAT VOLTAGE IS THE AVAILABLE VOLTAGE. If the voltage across the TERMINALS is OK then CLEAN THE CONNECTIONS!
Finch661

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this was a TIM volt gauge in my cockpit, its linked into the fuse box, so i dont know what that means!
47p2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not take the car to your local Halfrauds and ask them to check the battery with the load meter, they should do this for free
Finch661

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a great idea! i will nip out tomorrow night to halfrauds! luckily i have a trade card, if i need a battery
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You CANNOT rely on battery voltage measured anywhere except directly across the BATTERY POSTS using an accurate voltmeter with a maximum scale of 0-20 volts DC.
Finch661

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have replaced the battery earthing cable and she's now starting a lot better. the starter motor spins a lot faster than it did before. i will check over the next couple of days to see if the problem returns. thanks for your input! Wink
Kelsham

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: engine not starting in the cold Reply with quote

When I was young in the 1960s I worked for an electrical car repair dealer. The chief mechanic would test customers batteries by removing the caps and holding a steel bar across the terminals while watching the cells for signs of distress I.E. electolyte bubbling.
He preferred this method to using the correct discharge meter.
I DO NOT ADVISE THIS PROCEDURE.
Gas given off is explosive. I recall the mechanic being a most unpleasant character. The devil looked after his own and the batteries never exploded while I was there.
Of course the discharge meter works in a similiar brutal way but there is no need to remove the caps.
It was lucky the test was conducted out of sight of the customers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: