classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Alvis TE21
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Alvis TE21 Reply with quote

I'm restoring a 1964 Alvis TE21 Saloon. I've had the chassis restored by Red Triangle. I'm replacing all the pipes and seals in the brakes/clutch and replacing the cylinder head (which has been rebuilt for me by Guy Walker).
Here's what it looked like before I bought it

Here's what bits of it look like now:

The brake pipe which goes from one piston to the other was very hard to bend into shape, as there is very little room when the wheel is put back on. If the pipe rubbed on the wheel, it would not last very long with catastrophic results.

Should I use a sealant on the head gasket? The two most experienced people I know have different views!

I'm making pretty slow progress as I get about one afternoon a weekend to work on it. Still I'm aiming for a local car show next May.

Cheers, Mike
47p2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely car Mike, how happy would I be to own one just like it Very Happy

As for the head gasket, it seems we all have our own ideas which are on another thread here Some prefer a light smear of oil, others grease and some prefer a sealant......The choice is yours Confused
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I had a look round your web site. Your Rover looks pretty smart and in beautiful nick.

This weekend I managed to get the clutch slave cylinder and brake master cylinder back on the car. I re-attached the (non-standard) servo which was on the car when I bought it. I still haven't driven the Alvis as I bought it as a non-runner!
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent about 5 hours under the Alvis this weekend - listening to the Villa lose away at Blackburn (can't have everything). Managed to fit the brake pipes to and from the servo. Also cleaned up an old dynamo and a brake fluid reservoir I bought second hand. Think I might get myself a more modern brake fluid reservoir instead thought - one with a switch which tells you if the level drops.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: