classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Dawtrey Airlite and William Walmsey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Terry McGrath

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Dawtrey Airlite and William Walmsey Reply with quote

I am very interested to find out any information on the Dawtrey Airlite caravan and William Walmsey's involvement with the company and any photographs of Walmsley with these caravans.
I believe a pic exists of Walmsley with an SS1 and a caravan
regards terry
Australia
tmcgrath@bigpond.com
old van man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this today while sorting out the archives, things you do when its raining Laughing

/img] http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu60/oldvanman/01-11-2009181435.jpg[img]

[img]http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu60/oldvanman/airlights.jpg[/img)
[img]http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu60/oldvanman/01-11-
2009181427.jpg[/img]

cobber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day O V M & Terry,

Isn't life full of interesting coincidences Rolling Eyes

That is a great article O V M and I scanned it to see if “Airlite” ever exported to Australia.... no mention that they did however............ very recently a photo taken at the Royal Automobile Club of Victoria's (Australia ) first Caravan club gathering in 1937 has surfaced.

The photo below is a portion of that photo enlarged.

I am not a car tragic Terry but.... is that an SS1 in front of the caravan that has a stripe on the side similar to a couple of the “Airlites” in the Old Van Man's brochure ?

And do you think the 'van is an “Airlite” Paul ?

Cobber.... Australia Wink
Brian M

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobber wrote:
G'day O V M & Terry,

And another - I was reading this yesterday morning just as BBC News was reporting from Watford Gap as it was exactly 50 years since the M1 and the service station opened. (Page 2 of the "one man band" article.)
Terry McGrath

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Dawtrey Airlite caravan and William Walmsey Reply with quote

thanks for the postings I was aware of the piece in Andrew Whyte book but the bit from the caravan magazine was great.
I would also be interested to fing family of Lyndon Smith another important figure in SS history
regards terry
Terry McGrath

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: RAC of Victoria's Australia 1st Caravan gathering Reply with quote

Whilst I would love it if there was an SS car in the pic I am sure there isn't one and unfortunately I wouldn't recognize an “Airlite” if I tripped over it
regards terry tmcgrath@bigpond.com
www.paulskilleterbooks.co.uk

cobber wrote:
G'day O V M & Terry,

That is a great article O V M and I scanned it to see if “Airlite” ever exported to Australia.... no mention that they did however............ very recently a photo taken at the Royal Automobile Club of Victoria's (Australia ) first Caravan club gathering in 1937 has surfaced.

The photo below is a portion of that photo enlarged.

I am not a car tragic Terry but.... is that an SS1 in front of the caravan that has a stripe on the side similar to a couple of the “Airlites” in the Old Van Man's brochure ?

And do you think the 'van is an “Airlite” Paul ?

Cobber.... Australia Wink
old van man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi cobber, sorry i dont think the van is an airlight, wrong shape at the back, looks nearer to a carlight cosmapolition( but still the wrong window shape ) i can say that the van to the left looks a lot like a cheltnaham of 1933-34 vintage
I haven,t a clue who Lyndon Smith is, my i suggest you try a classic car forum Terry, Regards ,old van man
cobber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Old Van Man,

I hope you are wrong regarding the 'van on the left looking like a cheltnaham of 1933-34 vintage........ do you have a photo of one ? I thought they had lantern roofs around that time Confused

The 'van actually is a "Don" caravan, one of the few in Australia that started before the war and was able to continue and become very successful after the war......... but there is nothing to say they didn't gain inspiration from Cheltnaham, it would be interesting to know for certain sure.

Cobber.
old van man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have removed the photos of photobucket ,did not know it took them of the forum as well Embarassed
cobber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries O V M.........just don't do it again Wink Wink ..... your photos are too interesting, and an asset to this forum.

If you want to restore them you will have to put them in
photobucket again and then "edit" your post and just replace
the old link with the new one.

Cobber.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: