classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

New to forum and looking for advice on 68 Sprite Musketeer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
ke1v

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: New to forum and looking for advice on 68 Sprite Musketeer Reply with quote

Hi all just joined the forum as i'm soon to be restoring a Sprite Musketeer and will no doubt be needing some help.

My Dad purchased the van some time in the 70's and it has been used just about every year until its last trip in 2006. Needless to say i have many fond memories of the times we spent on holiday in it.

I have now taken possesion of it and recently picked it up from my home town and brought it to where i currently live so i can keep on top of the maintenance.

I was really concerned about what state it would be in as it had been left to stand for three years. To my delight after gaining access as no keys the van seemed dry and as i remembered it internally. Externally it was pretty weathered.

Before setting off on my 3 hour journey and first time towing in years i had to change the tyres fix the lighting and check the brakes and suspension. I also thought it deserved a was before getting it out on the road. It took a couple of days but i enjoyed every minute of working on it and now i have the buzz.

This is almost how it looked on arrival, just dragged out of its overgrown plot and new tyres on and lights being looked at.

After a clean and about to set off.

The condition it's in is a credit to the time my Dad spent looking after it. The interior is not the original layout and is a real improvement. I do plan to redo it all with my own touch but keep the layout he created. Priority for me is to sort the exterior. I have no worries about getting stuck in i have plenty of tools and turn my hand to most things however realise there is plenty of help and advice to be gained from forum members.

I believe its a 68 after finding a few pics on the net and my dad always said late 60's. Unfortunately the tag is not present on the chassis indicating weight etc. If anyone call help me out with any info about the van i would really appreciate it. I'm also on the hunt for some sprite hub caps as they have dissapeared.

Thanks

Kelvin
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good already. I am looking forward to watching progress on this one.
jonbott

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice my gran had one of them,fond memories of it Cool
1972 vw camper
1971 mini project
I must be mad!!
rangerover125

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son has a musketeer but in a moment of madness he's brought a static caravan so the musketeer has headed to ebay, right I'm off to a rally for the weekend c u all next week. Steve
ke1v

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks it does look well in pics but on close inspection it requires a repaint. At the moment i'm considering if i should remove the skin or not. There is no visible signs of damp so not sure its required. The alloy sheets on the side are not perfectly flat anymore so thought about checking the frame and adhere the skin to it again. But then if its not leaking why disturb it.

I saw that sprite on ebay whilst looking for some hub caps. I think its the modle after mine so may be similar weight if it has a steel chassis. You don't happen to still have the plate on the A bar with the weight details do you?
rangerover125

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do better than that if you wait until after the weekend I have the original sales brochure up at the storage yard with the weights of all models so will get it for you, best wishes Steve
ke1v

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great Steve, thanks

Have a good weekend

Kelvin
Barry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: sprite musketeer Reply with quote

Hi.
You will enjoy having the Sprite as people will come and talk to you about it.I own a 1966 Sprite Musketeer which the wife and I have restored.
It is nice to have something different to everybody else as the caravan sites are full of plastic caravans that all look the same.
If you would like to contact me I will send you some pictures.
Barry.
emmerson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprites are like Morris Minors. Wherever you park it, someone will say " I/my father used to have one of those"
Good luck with it. Why not bring to the European Classic Caravan rally in France next may?
yorkshireretro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i LOVE the 70's pale green and white sprites - they are my favourite and i'm always keeping an eye out for one! good luck with your restoration Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: