classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MG Midget wiring diagram
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
john-saab

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: MG Midget wiring diagram Reply with quote

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 1964 MG Midget..i need to know where the wires from the starter switch go..someone has been playing with a friends car and mucked everything up.
pigtin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been looking at the diagram in my 'Autobooks' workshop manual.
The diagram for Midgets, up to 67, is so small it's almost impossible to read, let alone transmit.

It seems there are three connections on the switch:

1. Is a white that should go to the starter solenoid.

2. It is difficult to make out. There are three white wires. one is shown to go to a push-on connector and from there to the petrol pump and fuse box. The other two seem to go to the tachometer. As far as I can make out: one to power it and the other to the illumination lamp?

3. Brown/blue to A1 on the regulator.

Don.

It is a godawful diagram and I hope this is enough info to get you out of trouble.
47Jag

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

You should have a Brown, a White and a White/Red tracer. Brown is the feed. White is the ignition (probably to the A3 terminal on the fuse box) and the White/red tracer goes to the solenoid. These are standard Lucas colour codes. Any other colours let us know and we can tell you what they should be for.

Art
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this help?

Dax Rush
pigtin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There would seem to be a degree of inconsistency in the diagrams printed in various books. Could it be that the manufacturer changed the wiring during the production run of each model. The book I have definitely shows a three terminal switch. Seems, from the above diagram, some of them were fitted with a seperate starter switch. I'm confused now.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The diagram only shows a separate mechanical direct pull starter solenoid (4) - if an electric operated switic or a combined ignition/switch is required then another White/red cable goes from starter solenoid (4) to the extra ignition switch terminal.

Most car wiring diagrams contain errors and inaccuracies and few were updated for minor production changes as basic auto-electrics were assumed to be held by approved service garages etc.

Find out which terminal of the ignition switch is only live when in Start position(often marked 1) and that should run to starter solenoid.

BMC/BL used standard Lucas colours and White cables are always unfused main Ignition circuits with coloured tracers going to other components after junctions/switches.

Brown is main battery unfused, Purple is battery fused accessories (A1/A2) and Green are ignition fused accessories (A3/A4) Light green is via the insturment voltage stabiliser. (not A2 as I had before!)

Red = sidelights, Blue = Headlights

It was all very logical as long as PO's had not messed around with it
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2

Last edited by Phil - Nottingham on Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my rush I thought 44 was 4A ( a coil for the solenoid ) and did not bother to look any farther, I must put my glasses on. Embarassed
There are a lot of different diagrams so I will post another that has got a solenoid.
Dax Rush
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, I would question your definition of Purple wires.
I have always understood that that purple signifies a live wire where the component precedes the switch in the circuit. A good example is often purple to horns (usually from the fuse box) where the horn button (switch) earths the circuit. The return wire from horn to button would (properly) be purple with a black tracer to signify it was live, but going to earth via a switch. The switch earth should of course be black.
The basic Lucas colour coding is a good thing to memorise for any classic car owner with that system. Especially useful when stranded at the roadside wondering which wire goes where. Whatever kind of car you have the manufacturer will use coded connections, but there are French systems, Japanese systems,..............
Unfortunately, vehicle manufacturers did not always stick rigidly to the rules and confusing differences can be found in many wiring diagrams. Knowing the tracer application is also very useful unless some uninformed moron has mixed up wires. For example; blue with red tracer is dipped beam headlamp and blue with white tracer is main beam, but I have often found them reversed.
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, I would question your use of the word accessories.
In the MGB 70/71 wiring diagrams the purple is used as a feed wire from the fusebox - not through the ignition - to the horns, the courtesy light, the boot light and just to spoil the party, it feeds to the light switch. This is post 1967.
Dax Rush
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic, provided the "light" you mention is the interior light I think you have just supported my observation. All the items you mention are typically fed with power directly and earthed though some kind of switch.
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it feeds the main lighting switch so it is not components that are switched to earth - sorry!
Dax Rush
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Nic, at least you have supported my other observation that all manufacturers don't follow the system to the letter!
Jim.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means question it but this is the Lucas logic:-

Accessories which are fused and fed with or without ignition on are Purple (on post war Lucas wiring) - Brown is direct unfused battery.

A1/A2 Terminal/Fuse = Accessories direct battery fed ie not through ignition swithch

A3/A4 = Accessories via Ignition switch.

Accessories = any equipment which is not engine/road lighting related.

A odd number are before fuse evens after - I have corrected this on athe previous posting

See this
http://www.dimebank.com/LucasColours.html

There are others on here too

mnayfacturers did vary colours and so did component manyfacturers.

Lucas column lighting switch should have a purple BATTERY fused cable for the headlamp flasher + a Blue one for the headlights from the main lighting switch. there will also be a Ble/white for main beam and Blue/Red for dip + others depending on what else it controls eg horn

Earthed return switching will have main colour eg Brown/Purple/Green/white + black tracer to switch - then switch may have a black earth cable or just rely on switching
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: