classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Steam Cleaning (Chassis/engine) in Sussex/Surrey Area?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Mello

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Steam Cleaning (Chassis/engine) in Sussex/Surrey Area? Reply with quote

Can anybody recommend somewhere to get this done? Ideally Crawley area??

Thanks in anticipation... Smile
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cringe when I hear that someone wants steam clean any vehicle. You will be removing all the protection in the areas that you cannot get to. Water ends up in the electrics and bearings. I am not even keen on hosing under the bonnet. I scrape off the excess then use engine degreaser and then an hour or so later degrease again and then soapy warm water in my watering can and then soft brush. You just cannot beat whipping the engine out and doing a really propper job. Do be carefull as this can lead to taking other bits off and before you know it the car is in bits. Confused
Dax Rush
victor 101

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Nic, you might be doing more harm than good. If your thinking of doing the underneath you could force water under the underseal and it will rot out quicker than leaving all that lovely oil on there.
Mello

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gents, however I only want to do this as the car has been standing for about 30 years and the oil and grease now needs to be removed so I can start restoration work! I agree that this has been a desirable 'extra' since the car has been stored, but it's now time to see what's underneath! Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: