classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Jeager Instruments
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Phil Lincoln

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Jeager Instruments Reply with quote

Has any body any experience with Jeager speedo heads.
I have had mine from my Rover 95 in bits to cure a sticking needle.
I think I know what the problem is ( there is play on the shaft that carries the rotating drum ) but I need to remove the speedo needle to get at the front part of the assembly and it doesnt seem to want to come off.
The Smiths and Kinzle clocks fitted to earlier P4s appear to be different. appear to be different.
Regards to all Phil.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

I think it's just a taper fit. You may be able to split it by holding the alloy drum/disc and gently trying to rotate the pointer one way and the other just by a few degrees each way. If this doesn't work then it all gets a bit more dangerous as it's easy to snap the end off the shaft. Try to avoid any tendency to bend the shaft. You may be able to prise it off using pincers if they small enough to fit under the pointer.

This way you can rock the pincers so as to apply pressure on both sides of the pointer simultaneously. Unfortunately there is also more chance of damage to the dial.

HTH

Peter
47p2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The needls on the P2 Jeager instruments pull off, but they can be very tight
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would seriously suggest entrusting it to Info@speedographrichfield.com They are not expensive.
PAUL
Phil Lincoln

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Jeager Instruments Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.I have e mailed the contact and I will await an answer.

Regards to all Phil.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before trying to pull off the needle off any speedometer, gently lift the needle over the zero peg to release the hairspring spring tension. Then mark the relaxed position of the needle. Otherwise you will have the Devil's own job resetting the needle in the correct position when you come to refit it.
I have never found any problem removing a needle using a small pair of cranked long-nosed pliers resting in a piece of sturdy card as a fulcrum to prevent damage to the dial.
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the same subject how easy is it to remove the glass from these dials in order to clean the inside face, my speedo has some dust on the inside and I'd like to wipe it off?
47p2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dial twists off. If you look at the rear of the dial there are tabs that will line up to the cut-outs of the speedo cowl. They can sometimes be stuck in position and take a lot of persuasion before they move
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really part of this post, but this information might be useful to some.

A lot of Jeager and Smiths speedo internals were interchangeable in the 60s and 70s. I found out when the wheels on a car I was building were changed from 13 to 15inch wheels, messing up the speed readings etc.
The only speedo I could find with the right turns/mile was the wrong make. The innards of the Smith's speedo fitted inside the Jeager case without modification using the original dial to match the original rev. counter etc. The down side though was that the two companies used a different pitch thread for the speedo drive so the cable had to be changed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: