classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What's your oldest car radio?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
HMK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: What's your oldest car radio? Reply with quote

Here's a couple that I've got.............just been up in the loft Smile

EKCO type CR32 car radio. All valve with vibrator power supply, copper case with built in loud speaker - Wow! Cool

PYE T.C.R.1000X car radio, all valve, with one early power transistor on the back - & it proudly says "transistor" on the front panel Laughing

This PYE radio is obviously not as old as the EKCO.
Greg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice too, obviously they both have 'I-Pod' connections and are 'Bluetooth' enabled!!! Smile Smile
Seriously though some of the older units are very collectable and fetch quite high prices.
All the best,
Greg
47p2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1940s Radiomobile 100 with mp3 and FM

peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi HMK,

Your EKCO brings back memories of my father's EKCO car radio in the 1950s. Unfortunately your set has a wrong volume control knob and is missing the dress face plate. My father's did have the same station selection knob as yours (rather than the cream ones below) but the volume knob had a similar structure.

See:http://users.skynet.be/antique.autoradio/index.htm

Peter

Keith D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see the old Ekco car radios! I served my apprenticeship with E K Cole Ltd in Southend, Essex back in the early sixties. On arrival in Australia, I was a car radio designer with ASTOR, a very popular radio and TV manufacturer in Melbourne!

Thanks for the nostalgia! - Keith
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are in the garage, they used to turn up at car boot sales but its been a while since I found anything interesting. I think my Ekco is the same as those above

(pic from main site)

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
traction39

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Pye P24CR 12v car radio from 1949-50. Internally converted for FM...and never installed in my car! Will be digital only by the time it gets fitted...waiting for the car to be restored. Seem to have my priorities around the wrong way!!

Citroen Light 15 1953, "12" 1939,
Riley 9 Special 1932
HMK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greg, but interestingly the one that 47p2 has, looks like the internals have been replaced so that it does in fact do all those things Surprised

Thanks for that very interesting link to that website, Peter - so it looks like mine & the one that Rick has are the oldest so far at c 1947 ? So that's what the front panel should look like - shame mine is missing...could probably make one - looks like it's not made of copper like the rest of rhe case, going by Rick's picture Confused

Keith, mine is made in Scotland, rather than Southend, so must be quite early.............

A brighter picture of mine - looks like mine could have had a replacement speaker fitted at some time....& what about that extra switch? This radio worked when I last connected it up quite a few years ago now, but when I connected it to a power supply yesterday it lit up but the vibrator didn't work....so I'll have to have a look at that when I get a spare moment...

Great set of radios there, Rick - I used to have some of those, but they probably got chucked out during various moves - other than a Radiomobile out of a Morris Oxford in perfect working order. I happened to mention it to a chap at West Ashby meet a few years back. He was saying that his had gone up in smoke. At that time I was thinking that no one would be that interested in old AM positive earth radios & said he could have it for a tenner - he bit my hand off...hardly gave me time to get home before he called to collect it Shocked At least it did him a good turn as I would never have used it for anything Smile

Traction, you'll have to see if you can post a picture of your converted radio Cool

Ok, now for some more.

I've been in my attic again Laughing

So you're out in your car & you want to stop to watch your favourite TV show. Now this is probably very rare - one of the very early portable TV sets, again, made by EKCO, all valve with metal case....& it also has a built in radio. This used to work perfectly & probably still does, but I haven't switched it on since they stopped transmitting on VHF 405 lines - so a long time now. You would also need this for when you were out in your caravan of the time, I probably ought to post this on the classic caravan section, or post a link..........

This next one is the one that I use at the moment in my 1965 Thomson caravan. a Hitachi with radio & tape recorder - belt has gone on the tape deck & I can't get a replacement, but I'm working on that one...although when everything goes digital I'll be stuffed with the TV part anyway Crying or Very sad

You might want to run some of this old kit on a mains/battery converter....

This one was used to power this little radio transmitter......

More soon Wink
47p2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes my Radiomobile has been converted, it started off as a 1947 valve radio

Here are a few of interesting links

Radiomobile 100

More Radiomobile 100

Radio Manuals
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

This next one is the one that I use at the moment in my 1965 Thomson caravan. a Hitachi with radio & tape recorder - belt has gone on the tape deck & I can't get a replacement, but I'm working on that one...although when everything goes digital I'll be stuffed with the TV part anyway Crying or Very sad

my mother had one of those Very Happy and a friend of mine, just ordered a rubberband for my RADIOMOBILE 8 track, and it plays perfect now, so I am shure he can help you too Wink so if its still a problem let me know?
as for the TV part, just get it wired to take a VCR Cool the tapes are SO cheap now, and then you still have use for it Wink
47Jag

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an original 1938 Buick radio and a Radiomobile 100 for the Jag. I bought both on the same day at Glamis for £10 each. The guy told me the Buick radio had come from a Y type Ford.

The Buick has a cable operated remote control unit plus another bit which I assume is a tone selector and aerial trimmer??? (the country/city bit)

Art
oldgoaly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

47JAG, does your Buick radio say "BOP" on the radio head? My 35 Buick is a "BOP" Buick, Olds, Pontiac. I've got a few others (350-400 total) all types. This should link you to a photobucket album of mine http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee316/oldgoaly/old%20radios/ 1/3 work, 1/3 could work with some repairs, the last 1/3 probably won't ever work again. tt
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! What an impressive collection.

Not really a site for American radios but do you ever look here?

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php

Peter
47Jag

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldgoalie,

The indicator head says Motorola.

Art
HMK

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some really great old radios that some of you have got Cool

I've got the Pye car radio working perfectly.

The 1947 Ekco now has 200 volts of HT from the vibrator power supply, but still has a fault.

I powered the 1955 portable mains/battery TV up gradually from a variac & the radio part works fine. The TV part also works, but of course there is no longer anything to receive on VHF 405 line TV anymore Crying or Very sad

I joined that 'vintage radio' forum a while ago too, but as usernames had to be something like more than seven letters long now, I obviously couldnt use the one I use on here Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: