classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Battery Terminal Problem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Battery Terminal Problem Reply with quote

The positive battery terminal on my Amazon keeps "furring" with a white powdery deposit.

It is a fairly new battery, and I have replaced the terminal and made sure it is a good tight fit.

Any expert know what causes it?
michael1703

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive never had a problem with furring on any car ive owned.

one of my vans which ive owned for 8 years has just started doing it, it has gradually been arcing from post to clamp and has eroded a small area

evan though ive smothered vasoline all over it,occasionally the clamp needs a twist as it tries to arc

the only thing i can assume is that the lead post was manufactured slightly smaller than originally specified or the clamp bolt 'bottoms out' before the clamp is fully tight

i will fit a new clamp and lead soon as my clamp has lost its coating

negative on my van btw
47p2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pour the contents of a kettle of boiling water over the post & terminal and once dry smear some Vaseline over the terminal and post and clamp tightly together.

Make sure any of the furring that is dissolved with the boiling water is thoroughly rinsed from the metalwork of the vehicle
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a job for a tube of No-Crode (do they still sell it?)

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
roverdriver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washing with hot water is good, but as you are dealing with acid corrosion, it is even better to neutralise the acid with an alkali. When I have had this problem, I have sprinkled Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) over the top of the battery, and especially over terminals and clamps. Follow that with hot water , allow to dry, coat the terminal with grease (vaseline) and re-clamp.

Has worked for me every time.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks that capiliary action is allowing acid to leak out up past the post as it is not sealed properly. After cleaning as above try silicon or use these?

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/battconns/battaccs.php

Old Black ruber batteries always did this after few months as the pitch seal dried out
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is well established that the positive terminal of the battery will suffer electrolytic corrosion on positive earthed cars. It used to be a normal service item to clean them. One of the claims of switching (no pun intended) to negative earth was that it dispersed the corrosion around all the connections/terminals in the circuits. There were of course other reasons like solid state electronics. I was never very sure whether that was good or bad, because it is much easier to clean one battery terminal than have lots of connections fail. There is no doubt though that battery terminal corrosion is not usually a problem with negative earth.
As mentioned, Baking Soda (or Washing Soda) being alkaline will kill/neutralise the grot. We always used it in a hot solution to wash or dip affected parts washing the residue off promptly with fresh water. On occasions the positive clamp almost disappeared when the corrosion bubbled away.
The only way to stop recurrence is to exclude the air and battery fumes by liberally coating with vaseline or a proprietory compound. But do not rely on the proprietory types to remove corrosion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: