classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Chassis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
rangerover125

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Chassis Reply with quote

Well whatever project I decide to restore I will still be building a replica classic caravan from plans kindly supplied from fellow forum users.
Whilst I don't mind the woodwork to much, the chassis is probably going to be too costly and time consuming to build( well that would be after I learn to weld) so I though about either using a old chassis from a 1950s van or a later and easier to obtain BB chassis. Your views are welcome, now to find a supplier of ash locally
Dalek63

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
As long as it had a straight axel I would think any chassis would do. If you wanted to be really vintage you could go for an ash chassis as some of the 1930 and 40's vans had and then you would only have to make an A frame, which could be bolted together.
old van man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi stev, you can obtain ash from travis perkins timber merchants at swad
make sure your sat down when you get the price , its dear stuff Smile
still not sure why you what to build a van Confused
back in the 30s and 40s when these self build plans were draw up, they where aimed at the people that could not afford a professionially made caravan, there was a shortage of vans after the war, and to build your own was the only way of obtaining one
and say you do build one , what you got, a modern van ,its not even what this forums about
why not rescue the 50s Eccles from borth its only £50 ! and put your time and effort into a real classic van and not trying to build a replica Smile
rangerover125

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest the replica is for the sheer hell of doing it. I'm still waiting for the owner of the Eccles to get back to me.Either way I will certainly be restoring a proper van and creating the replica just because its something I've always wanted to do and although it won't be eligable for the record attempt it will be something else for the public to see. Sometimes I like to do something to prove to myself that I'm capable of doing it. Obviously the replica is low priority over a proper restoration but I have rooom to do both now
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: