classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Help!!! we need your's to identify this 40/50's caravan
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
The Odd Couple

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Help!!! we need your's to identify this 40/50's caravan Reply with quote

We have just purchased this off E-Bay and have no real idea of it's manufacturer. It's been suggested it could be an early Pilot or even a 'shell caravan '. It has quality furniture, approx 22ft x 7ft', built with ally panels. We have been all over it and can't find a makers mark anywhere. As you can see it needs an awful lot of TLC. The divider you can see through the back window was a modification for a toilet , which we have now removed along with the modified kitchen. Does anyone recognise it ? If so I would love to hear from you.
Thanks
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
Barry Lord

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a beautiful van - I love the wood interior.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely van, the interior is almost like an 'Gentlemans Club Room', quality.
The Odd Couple

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We thought the interior furniture was really nice in comparison to the outside. However a good part of the veneered lined walls and ceiling are water damaged, so we are just off to purchase the only available oak veneered ply we can find locally. The 6ml for the ceiling seems easy to get but the 4ml for the walls appears to be hard to find. so we have to buy it now as they don't intend re-ordering. When it's gone...it's gone !
Dalek63

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
What a lovely old caravan! It looks similar to my grandfathers Pilot, but I think it is more like a Paladin judgeing from the tops of the corners, which are nothing like a Pilot and exactly the same as a Paladin I saw a while ago. It would be nice to see the restoration as it goes along posted in the forum.
old van man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, well done on your purchase Smile i had my eye on this one,was just a bit far away for me.
these single axle showmans vans are so rare, the majority being big four wheelers on akerman frames.
the shape of your van is the "pan loaf " style very popular with the showmen from the 50s on
this van would have been made to order, and some investigation on the showmans web sites may give get a result, try (all the fun of the fair .com )
there is a good book on living vans , called " a palace on wheels " by paul braithwaite this book deals only with molcroft roofed living vans but there is a very good index on van manufacturers
looking the quality of the interior i say it was expensive van and was made by a established company
i have left on a pic of my old brayshaw this is a single axle van from the 1930s good luck with resto Very Happy O.V.M.
old van man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoffp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you've seen this:
http://www.gypsytrailercaravans.webeden.co.uk/#/another-showmans/4536827774
but here is a bit more information about it.

Geoff
The Odd Couple

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Many thanks for all responses. We have looked hard at the Palladin and although the roof lines are extreemly similar they are not quite the same. We have a very dog eared copy of the book, Palace on Wheels which we have trawled through. All to no avail I'm afraid. I have tried to access the 'all the fun of the fair' website, as suggested by OVM, but can not gain access until registered, for which I have now applied. Again many thanks......the search continues !
old van man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sorry i could not have been more help i have been "out of the loop " with showmans vans for a few years ,
for what its worth , my first thoughts on your van was Pilot ,
Palindin, tended to use a differnt external wall construction, vertical interlocking ally strips ( theres a pic of one on this forum somewhere ) Smile
Dalek63

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a Rollalong.
The Odd Couple

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks....Not heard of a Rollalong, but will check it out. We have also been told today that it could be a Tudor Clipper !!!.Has anyone heard of such a van ?
trailerman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interested to see the photo above posted by O.V.M.......There is a great period photo of a very similar van on my website. I haven't yet worked out how to post pics here so Ive added the link to the page. http://gypsytrailercaravans.webeden.co.uk/#/early-trailers/4525041691
young van man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: could be? Reply with quote

hi i have a caravan that i am soon to be restoring that resembles yours in many ways mine is a winsome wizard of 1947 if you look on ebay under vintage caravans there was a advert for winsome caravans they were made by a company up in stafforshire called mellor and sons i think, not much info left on the company but they firstly made streamlined vans then went through a boxy design stage but they also made alot of vans for showmen.p.s they never used to put makers plates on there vans either very handy ey!! good look finding out the manufacturers name lovely van any way ! will make a interesting renovation!!! Very Happy
Barry Lord

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to an earlier posting, here is a picture of a Tudor Clipper from 'The Caravan' magazine, April 1950. I'm not sure yours is the same van.

[img][/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: