classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1948 Carapartment
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Barry Lord

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: 1948 Carapartment Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the 1948 Berkeley Carapartment we used to own, which we rediscovered recently in the garden of a Youth Hostel near Church Stretton in Shropshire. The caravan was originally owned by the 1950's and 1960's television and radio ventriloquist, Albert Saveen, famous for his 'Daisy May' act. My mother remembers Saveen from when she was a child in the 1950s.

A dog travelled with Saveen as part of his act, which made staying in hotels difficult when on tour, hence the caravan.

We sold the caravan about four years ago and the Youth Hostel has since bought it for use as staff accommodation. I never found it the most comfortable caravan to use, but liked the enormous sun flap at the rear. The triangular front of the caravan contained a large washroom. The van now appears to need a bit of work to preserve it and was owned by several members of the HCC before us.

1948 Berkeley Carapartment:

[img][/img]

Albert Saveen and Daisy May:

[img][/img]
old van man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done barry Smile i was thinking about this van the other day, and what had happend to it , i owned it for a year never did anything with it wasent keen on the layout, and it so heavy on the nose Confused ,
like you said the van has had at least six owners in the club ,(must be a record Very Happy )
this van is really a Berkeley "Baronet" the Carapartment was the name give to the very first model, Berkeley changed the name after the first year carry on with the good work Very Happy O.V.M.
Dalek63

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for a new project for a little while, wonder if they would be up for selling it ?
cobber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me for butting in here Barry and OVM but....
I'm wondering if there is any connection between this
Berkeley caravan and the "covered wagon" that were
imported and sold by Nomad, or is it just the shape of
the front that makes me think they are similar ?

Cobber.
old van man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi cobber, no connection as far as i know Nomad took there styling cues from the states Smile Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: