classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

changing trafficators to flashers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
garychief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: changing trafficators to flashers Reply with quote

I would like to know how to change my 60 Morris 1000 traffictors to flashers but keeping the traficators to work,I seem to have a mental block on how to wire this up
Regards Rowland : [/b]
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way that I understand that this can be done, without recourse to some modern electronics wizardry is to fit 2 flasher units.
Others will doubtless add to this!
PAUL
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your options are to flash at the rear using the brake light filaments and install twin filament sidelamps at the front, as Paul suggests this involves two flasher units, or you can install additional indicator lamps all round.

Peter

http://www.da7c.co.uk/technical_torque_articles/modern_flasher_circuits.htm
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could have the trafficators flip up and down at the same rate as the flashing. Laughing
Dax Rush
garychief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAUL BEAUMONT wrote:
The only way that I understand that this can be done, without recourse to some modern electronics wizardry is to fit 2 flasher units.
Others will doubtless add to this!
PAUL
What is the best way to wire up your idea? I will be using after market lites, 2 pin or 3 pin flasher units ?
Thanks Rowland
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rowland

Use the "Number 4 circuit" in the link that Peter posted, but use electronic flashers s rather than the traditional type, and get the ones which have 4th pin that go's directly to the battery.
Reason for this is that semaphore's draw quite a large current when the arm is going up, adding more lamps is an additional load that may cause problems with the arms rising, it will also be putting a larger load on the indicator switch than it was designed for, the direct battery connections means that the trafficator switch will only be delivering a "signal" current rather than the full load.
Another benefit with electronic flashers the flashing rate will be constant, with the original "number 4 circuit" I would imagine the flashing rate will be slow or static as the arm rises, and speeding up as it locks in place!.

You can get the units from somewhere like Vehicle wiring products.

Dave
Glenn Crawford

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend buying a couple of ordinary 12V relays (single-pole, normally-open, with a handling current of 10A or more) as well as a single flasher unit. If in doubt, these from on-line suppliers AES are suitable: http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/169.

Connect the coil of each relay to one of the semaphore circuits (and the other terminal of the coil to earth) - then each relay will energise whenever that semaphore goes up, you'll hear it "click".

Connect one switching contact of each relay (let's call it the "output") to the corresponding flashing light circuit.

Connect the second switching contact of both relays (the "inputs") together, and wire them to the output terminal of your flasher unit. Wire the input terminal of your flasher to a fused 12V supply (it doesn't matter whether it's switched via the ignition, or permanently live, because the circuit is activated only by the semaphores).

Voila! Whenever the relay switches on, it connects the flasher to the corresponding set of flashing lights. The extra current drain through your original semaphore switch is tiny, only the amount drawn by the relay coil.
garychief

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Flashers for the Morris Reply with quote

A big thank you to all of you for your help in this matter, andhappy motoring in 2010
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: