classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Can anyone name this type of caravan?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
vintage mobile cinema

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Can anyone name this type of caravan? Reply with quote

Hi. My friends are just about to move into a rented property and this caravan is in the garden. It would be great to know exactly what it is. They're definitely keeping it and will be giving it some love in the near future.

Cheers.

fordf350camper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice,Oh and i love yours as well.Would love to own one one day.May be when i have won the lottery
moggy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a chop-down Vickers to me with alternative door put on But the wheels are still central ???? mmm
rangerover125

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a Fairview to me but I'm sure OVM will know more than me
old van man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am with moggy on this one, its looks like a vickers that looks like its had the back end hacked off Confused weird Smile

Last edited by old van man on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
young van man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: mystery van Reply with quote

am in agreement that its the shape of a vickers but the large band down the side reminds me of a lonsdale from morcambe, the rear reminds me of a pemberton day break, a 70's static from wigan....... qirky tho aint it!!!
old van man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pic of a vickers that i have posted before, one of the distinctive features of these vans is the way the roof is joined to the sides its like a interlocking joint, you can see this joint on both vans Smile
vintage mobile cinema

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad it wasn't just me who couldn't identify it easily! My first impression was also that it must be a chop down but from my very breif look over it I came away thinking that if it was, someone's done a bloody good job. I'll be visiting the garden again sometime in the next few months so I'll get a more thorough nose at it at, there must be a badge of some kind somewhere on it.......
Dalek63

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps its made to special order and is a one off.
vintage mobile cinema

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be Dalek, that would make it very rare. I noticed in one of your other posts you bemoaned the lack of good caravan treasures in your part of the world, well you may or may not be be encouraged to hear that this very caravan in discussion is in North Cornwall! Keep on looking over those hedge rows!
Dalek63

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I never! Its not a project I'd take on I think, not the best looking caravan I've seen. lol. But if your mate is ok with it I'd love to have a look and take a few photo's of the old girl.
trailerman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Unknown van Reply with quote

I think this is a Lonsdale 'special build' (built at Culgaith in Cumbria), the front end is identical to the early Lonsdales, and the rear lights are the same as they used. It appears there is a badge on the door, hopefully says or said 'Culgaith Caravans' ?!! A view of the front would be ideal as well as inside if it is original. Obviously it was not neccessarily a 'travellers van', but it could be an explanation for the door on the rear. When travellers had a space on a fair etc. especially for fortune telling, the 'rent' was per foot of 'frontage' ie: 'entrance', this would have been very minimal frontage! That said, if the interior has a toilet or (original)kitchen sink then it was a 'tourer'.
I can fairly certainly say it is not a Vickers, as Harry Vickers was renowned for refusing to 'muck about' with his caravans!
old van man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i had a look on your very informative website, and it certainly looks like a longsdale ( well one end definately Smile
do you think the vickers link, explains the use of the similar panel roof joint ? OVM Smile
trailerman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think the Vickers 'link' is likely as Mr Ted Sears who was works manager had previously been at Vickers Caravans in Morecambe and so Im sure his experience and knowledge was utilised ! going off on a slight tangent, Mr Sears later left Lonsdale to become partner in Westmorland Star caravans, and the early W.Stars bear a striking resemblance to Lonsdales in basic 'shape'.
cobber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Trailerman,

Do you mind if I follow you off on that slight tangent Wink ...
I too enjoyed your “Romany Gypsy Trailers” web site but I
got a surprise to see and hear Ambrose Cooper singing
“Short of a quid”.... written by my favourite Aussie singer/ song
writer Slim Dusty, who was also a fair dinkum “travelling man”.

Cobber.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: