classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

'71 MG MIDGET 1275 ALTERNATOR CONVERSION - HELP NEEDED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
deccle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: '71 MG MIDGET 1275 ALTERNATOR CONVERSION - HELP NEEDED Reply with quote

Hi there - 1st post!!

i have a 1971 1275 MG midget which i have owned for many years and as it still had the dynamo and control box, i thought it would be a better idea to get a alternator conversion from moss, which i did and fitted it this afternoon.

i am quite familiar with the wiring, but i am a bit confused with the moss wiring instructions. the alternator chages 14.2V - no problems there, its just the ignition warning lamp sometimes, will stay on when the ignition is turned off and sometimes when i make the car stall it wont come on i know the fault lies in the control box wiring (or from the conversion to the alternator)

the instructions for the conversion instruct you to leave the control box in place and remove the brown/yellow wire from connector 'D' on the control box and link it into one of the wires from the 'B' connector on the control box _ this is where it gets confusing as the instructions say 'dont connect to the wire that goes to the battery' - But all the wires on the 'B' post are permanently live!!

then we remove the brown / green field wire from the 'F' and put this back onto the 'D' terminal on the control box.

it definately charges the battery, but there is a definate storage of electricity in the control box as when i was testing stuff, i heard a 'light clunk' and the ignition light came on. (when the engine was stopped that is)

if your still with me, does anyone know what the issue is, or help me in removing the control box altogether?

the instructions can be found on the moss website as a download - moss part number 130-068 - there is aPDF download:

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=13317

thanks -Dan
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unusual they seem to be making use of the cut-out for the ignition warning light.

The usual method is to disconnect the F wire from the dynamo and join this to the WL (or A) cable after disconnecting it from the box.

The D and B wires are connected togther

However any alternative connection may invalidate the warrnty so refer back to Moss as the alternator WL system may be faulty
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
deccle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi phil, thanks for the reply.

so have i got this right, that if i just put the 'F' wire from the alternator onto the 'WL' cable (and remove it fro the control box)?

dan
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I would try but as I said if there is any problem the warranty may be invalidated.

The old control box is just left as a junction box for the Battery/Alternator cables and for cosmetic purposes
Land Rover S2 & S3
deccle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks - will try that.

point taken about warranty (if i actually have one)
deccle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi phil, thanks a lot, everything is now sorted as you said, rubbish instructions from moss then.

will probably tidy up the wiring a bit when i get a chance

Dan
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done - Make sure wiring is heavy enough and insulation and connections are good Embarassed
Land Rover S2 & S3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: