classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

40's / 50's van needs identification!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
young van man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: 40's / 50's van needs identification! Reply with quote

has any one any infomation on this caravan Confused i believe its early 50's and i know it is built on a holder graiseley chassis the coupling is 1" and a 1/4. The skin is aluminium and the interior is panneled through out in oak faced ply.
but i am unsure of the make..... Confused
it was found in a barn last year as can be seen by the last pictures, it had been placed in there after it had spent a good few years out side.
it is now safe and sound under cover again in our storage barn. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

can you help?

rangerover125

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've looked through my magazines but no luck with identifying it, but I would love to know where you found a 1 1/4 towball
young van man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: lucky find Reply with quote

I had a rumage through my uncles storage shed and located a mix of towing brackets rangeing from 50 mm, 2", 1 1/4" ,1 1/2" and even an old clamp, where the ball was fixed to the caravan and the screw down clamp was fitted to the car!! my uncle said they lost a few vans that had this type of coupling, the clamp had a recess inside the top and bottom jaw that clamped the ball, so my uncle had the clamp and the balll on the caravans drilled out so as a nut and bolt would hold them together!!!! health n safety would have a field day he he!

p.s and all these tow brackets were hidden behind a Bluebird Cambrian stained glass door window of all things!!!

y.v.m
rangerover125

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I need then an uncle with a workshop lol. I'm due to collect my Paladin when the snow clears which has a 1 1/4 tow hitch so I'm just making a plate with a 50mm hitch to replace the hitch while I get it home
Barry Lord

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice looking van - I really like the shape. Looking at the arrangement of the windows on the off-side, does it have a separate end kitchen/drop down bed?
young van man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: van layout Reply with quote

good look with the paladin any photos????

hi barry, yep you got it completely original inside gas stove- lights etc has end kitchen drop down bed and dinettte up front. just need tlc ....... yet another one awaiting the paint brush he he ! lol.

its just a shame as we dont know what to call it! so far its the 'big van up the barn' be nice to put a makers name to it!
Dalek63

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
Looks to me like it might be a self build as the front, rear and wheel arches are all sharp angles not compund curves, as an industrial manufacturer would prouduce.
old van man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will second that, my first thoughts was home built Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: