classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Do you have times when....
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Do you have times when.... Reply with quote

Do you have times when you stand and look at your project and think it will never be finished or it just seems too much?

Who or what keeps or gets you going again? Confused I work alone and sometimes it would be nice to have someone else there if only for a bit of banter.....do you know what I mean? I am sure I would get more done and quicker if I had someone to throw spanners at Laughing Laughing
Jason

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is very close to being finished but putting nice clean, shiney, refurbed parts back on the car kept me going with my project.

its good to take a break with a brew and a chat with mates also, I have 2 that keep coming round to see how the project is going although if I threw spanners at them they'd look at me stupid! Laughing ...they haven't got a clue about cars

jason
scott_budds

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its why I think places such as this forum is such a good thing to be a part of! Spending all that time alone in a cold garage and when you show you wife the fuits of your evenings work you hardly get a encouraging reply. Sharing your updates on here helps you wilst inspire others to get off the sofa and get into that cold garage to crack on with their project there!

Just my thoughts

Buddsy
fordf350camper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it funny when my older brother comes round and tells me i should have done things like this to my truck.Even thou he really got no idea how to do it.I just laugh and smile.
First Bedford

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two sons, 28 and 24, never see either down my unit. Even trying to pick up a wheel is a two man job, 700x20 split rims. Would be good to have help sometimes, would save me putting jobs off for another day. Suppose when I see a part painted will help.
Pete
Brian M

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not done a project since he was born, but my six year old Grandson is a great motivator to get jobs finished. He comes in the garage and wants to know what exactly I am doing, and tells me he wants to ride in the car when the job is finished to see if it is any different!

He then tells his mum and my wife that Grandad is the greatest mechanic in the world, and that Grandad knows everything about cars.

Very good for my ego when things are not going right!
exbmc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you have times when.... Reply with quote

Dirty Habit wrote:
Do you have times when you stand and look at your project and think it will never be finished or it just seems too much?

Oh mate, not half!! I am sometimes involved with light aircraft, and there is a saying amongst the builders and restorers, "90% done, and 90% still to do"!! Old cars and old 'planes are very similar methinks.
traction39

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I have two sitting in the garage...one has been there 5 years and the other is a new addition and been there a year.....one day or another...I will get stuck in, but that is only when I have put the grill and bonnet back on the third and done the headlining, carpets etc etc and can move it out of the way Rolling Eyes

Citroen Light 15 1953, "12" 1939,
Riley 9 Special 1932
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have just spent the pm being Mr Gadget man, trying to hold both bolt and nut, abut having to stretch round two plates! An interested Girlfriend would be great to hold the spanner etc.

Finding someone suitable, likes old cars, steam engines, tractors and can swing a spanner, thought I would be inundated, but not seen any yet!

Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Cheers

Dave
Richard H

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:

Finding someone suitable, likes old cars, steam engines, tractors and can swing a spanner, thought I would be inundated, but not seen any yet!

Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Cheers

Dave

It is very difficult to find any girls interested in old cars sadly Sad

My last girlfriend kept moaning at me to get a modern car as she got cold in the A35 because the heater doesn't work and I have to have the window open for demisting in the winter. She didn't like the amount of time I spent working on it, and was always worried it was going to break down.

I'm still looking for Miss Right, but this time I'll only be interested if she's prepared to get her hands dirty helping to grease kingpins and change oil etc. Wink
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="buzzy bee"]

An interested Girlfriend would be great to hold the spanner etc.

[/quote

When I got divorced many many years ago, my daughter said she was going to put an ad in the local paper to find me a woman. I told that if she did, it should be worded as follows.

Victor Meldrew lookalike seeks Pamela Anderson lookalike. Must be able to Mig weld and spraypaint.

I often wonder what response it would have got.... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Keith D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restoring old cars is usually a lonely hobby. I don't mind my own company, I have a radio going or borrow audio books from the library and play them on the CD player.

As far as enthusiasm goes, other club members or forum members help, just being able to discuss problems such as how the hell you're going to solve them, is a great help. I was told that when you have an evening that you don't feel like doing anything, just get out there and polish a wheel or something! Just get out there and keep your routine going. It works! Even pottering on the car gets you enthused again!

Buzzy and Richard. I wish you both the very best in your search for a female companian who is prepared to get oily with you and exchange spanners. But don't hold your breath. My wife is an excellent wife, mother and cook. But she just does not get excited by my old cars! She tolerates my quirky hobby, dirty clothes and long hours in the workshop, but she does not enjoy it! She will join me on club runs but does so with a resigned expression on her face which says "I'm only here because this mad bugger has insisted on me being here"! Her face reminds me that she doesn't like traveling in cars that (a) leak, (b) are very cold in winter (c) very hot in summer (d) are noisy (e) are prone to breakdowns (f) drip oil on the drive.....The list goes on!

I'm one of the lucky ones. There are many members of our club that had divorces over their love of old cars.

First Bedford, I have three sons. All are petrol heads aged 38 to 43. I spent hours when they were teenagers rebuilding and keeping their cars on the road. Big hairy lowered Chrysler Valiants with hot engines and wide wheels. In middle age all of them have become 4 wheel drive freaks. They now humour the old man with his two wheel drive oldies but are certainly not interested in them!

I thoroughly and genuinely respect anybody who has restored an old car because I know just how hard it is. I believe you are fully entitled to feel proud of yourself.

Keith D
Jason

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:

Buzzy and Richard. I wish you both the very best in your search for a female companian who is prepared to get oily with you and exchange spanners. But don't hold your breath. My wife is an excellent wife, mother and cook. But she just does not get excited by my old cars! She tolerates my quirky hobby, dirty clothes and long hours in the workshop, but she does not enjoy it! She will join me on club runs but does so with a resigned expression on her face which says "I'm only here because this mad bugger has insisted on me being here"! Her face reminds me that she doesn't like traveling in cars that (a) leak, (b) are very cold in winter (c) very hot in summer (d) are noisy (e) are prone to breakdowns (f) drip oil on the drive.....The list goes on!

Keith D

hey keith, do you know my wife? Laughing Laughing Laughing
mines just the same, as you know I've not quite finished the Alvis and she already wants me to sell it Shocked Shocked ......I don't think so!

we went to our first classic car show last august in Hebden Bridge (about 5 miles from us)(didn't take a car) and we did nowt but fall out, she kept claiming she was bored whilst me and the kids loved it Very Happy

jason
Brian M

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife won't even travel in my Volvo except for very special occasions. For instance if I am going near a Shopping Centre that she does like.

I have been attending and organising classic Car shows for 15 years and she came to one for the first time last year as it was at a Polo match attended by loads of celebrities. She said she quite enjoyed herself, but didn't come to any of the other shows last year!

She tolerates me working on the car, on the basis that she knows where I am, and I am not out chasing wild women! (the chance would be a good thing!)

But she is generous with my birthday and Christmas presents - last year she paid for my rolling road session, this year she is paying for my Webasto roof to be fitted - she gets a bit of Jewellery nad a box of chocs from me!

We have been married for 37 years and I am sure our different interests have made it work for such a long time.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My married life is very similar to Brian's. I get a bit of stick for the fact that Beaulieu Autojumble always occurs just at the best time of year, when we could otherwise be away in some holiday location, but she is very tolerant of my old car activities in general.

Dave & Richard, Don't expect to share all aspects of your free time with your future partners. Having some separate interests is very healthy.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: