classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Looking for an overview of registering an import with no doc
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
First Bedford

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Looking for an overview of registering an import with no doc Reply with quote

1952 Bedford K Type truck, imported from New Zealand, has a number plate, chassis number and engine number but no documentation. looking for a general overview of steps that will be required to register the vehicle here.
Pete
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it not come with a customs clearance document?

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
First Bedford

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must contact seller who imported it.
dalbuie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DVLA has a good import pack that gives lots of information.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/onlineservices/order_forms.aspx?ext=dg

Unfortunately you have to send away for it as opposed to downloading the pack.

If it has no documentation you may be able to re-register it as a barn find and not an import?
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Triumph motorbike imported from Malaysia where it was sent new without UK. registration. I have no import documents.

My information from DVLA is that I needed a dating certificate from an approved source. In my case I used the Triumph Owners' Motorcycle Club and now have one. Next I need to have the bike insured and tested using the frame number. Presumably in your case the vehicle chassis number. Then it is a case of obtaining and filling out Form 355/5 from the DVLA to apply for an age related registration number and V5c.

I was informed it is in order to drive a vehicle without number plates to and from your nearest test centre as long as it is pre-booked and insured.

I presume your situation and the necessary steps are similar.

I hope this helps. I have not completed the procedure because the bike needs essential work doing before MOT/use.

Jim.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalbuie wrote:
If it has no documentation you may be able to re-register it as a barn find and not an import?

Without the 386 customs form (which confirms that you paid duty on its arrival to the UK), I don't think you can register it as an import but I might be wrong. As dalbuie & Jim say, being a British Bedford I think going down the dating certificate / barn find route may be the only option.

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I can add which might be useful to know:-

25 years ago I built the car on the left of my post mostly from scrap Triumph Vitesse parts and the situation was somewhat similar in that the old style Triumph Vitesse registration document had never been transferred to the computer system. The insurance company were quite happy to issue insurance on the chassis number and so was the MOT station. A visit to the local DVLA Office secured the new reg. number over the counter. The Test Certificate had to be sent to the M.o.T to be amended to the reg. number and the insurance changed to the new reg. number. No problems, but a bit of a nuisance. I do not know though whether things have changed in the last 25 years!

Jim.
First Bedford

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice, quite away off yet with the restoration, unless it requires registering sooner - SORN and all that. The seller lives not too far from me and did offer to help when the time comes. Is there a pressing requirement to have it registered during restoration?
Several times I have looked at the Bedford Owners Club site, it appaears to be dead.
dalbuie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't be able to get it registered until you get an MOT so there is no rush to register it. I would speak to the Bedford club in case they have records for your chassis or engine number and you may be able to get back the original UK number if they have records.

I had my Chevy for about 18 months during restoration without registering - although I did have the USA docs and import docs. I then just filled in the forms and took my MOT, Insurance etc.
First Bedford

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant find Bedford club on line or my specs. Found specs - yes can't find anything but a dead site when looking for Bedford Owners Club, has it ceased to exist?
dalbuie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried this - http://www.bedford-world.com/thebedfordregister.htm
First Bedford

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still after several months the site is dead "due to technical reasons"
dalbuie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a search via google

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&q=+site:bedford-world.com+www.bedford-world.com&ei=gAlSS9nQH4yh4Qbo2u2OCQ&sa=X&oi=nshc&resnum=1&ct=more-results&ved=0CAsQ2AQ

Then you get all the pages and there are contact details etc and updates as of Sept 2009.
First Bedford

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dalbuie, have managed to register on the site but navigation is not working, pages not available due to technical reasons. There is a contact land mail address, will drop a letter to them, shjowing a membership of 16 people it may be closing down?
Pete
fordf350camper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i got my truck from the neterlands i did have the netherlands v5.So i took the paper work i had,I insured it on the chassis number.I then went to my local Dvla office who helped me fill in the forms.I even took a photo of it.He told me to fill in a mot exempt form in as he told me it didnt need a mot because its a fire truck.A lot of lorrys tractors dont need a mot.It says on the form what does not need one.Then i came out of the office with the paper work to go and buy the number plates.My tax has just run out so i went to my local post office with the mot exempt form and insurance.Came out with my new tax disc.Some people have said there only one reason you dont mot a truck.Not my reason.My truck is like new just about every part rebuilt or changed.Well you could get stopped any time by the police to check a car,truck With it having a mot but still fail there check.I would just like to add when my fire truck is on the road i will get a garage to check it over.I originally filled the mot exempt form in to get my v5.I now filled it in to get a follow on tax disc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: