classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Changing from an M5 to an E-Type
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Car-Nut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Changing from an M5 to an E-Type Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Last summer I took the plunge and sold my E39 M5 Ind. and went over to a classic as my wkd toy.

An early S1 E-Type FHC - What had I let myself in for after the reliability of a nice comfy wkd toy. Everyone was saying how unreliable they were and what rust buckets they were, but my mind was made up.

I had never done any work on a car before except change a pucture, I was a cheque book enthusiast Embarassed

Since getting the E, I have become more hooked on classics and a neighbour pointed me in the direction of
this website.

Like I said Im currently doing the E as a project and as another project along side that now I've got started a "E-Type & 420G Home Restoration & Maintenance Forum":-

http://etype-forum.top-board.com

Its dedicated to 2 Jaguars - E Types and 420G \ Mk10 because I plan to get a 420G next

The forum has project cars in each category and as the site grows hopefully some members project cars as well. We do have an interesting members project car in the 420G section a Mk10 with v12 shoehorned in

Anyway as Im new to this lark I look forward to picking some of your brains for better ways of doing things.

Ive set myself an £8k budget to baseline the car before upgrading, £5k already gone Sad but i believe still on budget). I will post some pictures up, but photobucket seems to be crashing today Rolling Eyes

If you want to read about the car in the mean time check my forum, will get some pictures hosted soon and look forward to chatting Wink

Cheers

Car-Nut
'70 420G - 17th from last RHD
Car-Nut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics on the first day I got her

Flushing the coolant - 18l of it Shocked

if you want to see some of the restoration pics from 1980 let me know Wink
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pics the merrier Smile it looks like a cracker

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
welder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, it all comes flooding back! Mine was the same but with black upholstery. The sight of that row of 2 inch SU carbs sets me tingling.

GUB 480D where are you now? I loved you!

Ian
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-types are tough; I can vouch for that after 28 years of ownership. Mine was restored in 1988 when with two up it was difficult to open the doors and we found the car sills were completely rotten and as usual one thing led to another and a full rebuild ensued. However, that was 22 years back and only now is a tiny bit of rust showing in the n/s bottom edge of the bonnet where it has tapped on the sill - easily cured and blown in. That isn't surprising after over 90,000 miles in all weathers and visits from Norway to Morocco. It still has it's 1988 shock absorbers which show no sign of wear, the torsion bars haven't been adjusted, yet the car has done hill climbs, track days and serious rallying. Recently a full winter service required a strip and clean of the starter, a new servo rubber (pierced by one of the retaining rings on the Kelsey Hayes), a bit of TLC and that was all. Consumption is still around 23mpg and oil consumption - you'll not believe it but it is true - still is less than a pint every 3,000 miles. Runs and starts like clockwork and not on electronic ignition. The hood need replacing and the seats are decidedly "patina'd", but she can stay that way now until I die. The only major problems over the years have been dynamo bearings (twice) and I broke the spigot shaft on the Moss box with spirited driving in the alps which caused me to replace the box with another Moss one which it seems no one now wants and was free. I know of a garage which has a pile of them in a shed because today people want modern comforts in an old car and have gone for the 5 speed conversion. And that's it really. Had her out today and she purred like a kitten - apart from a loose baffle that is!
Car-Nut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies its been a while since I was last on here, but Ive done a lot of work on the engine of the car, now looking much better and every little job seems to make a difference.

It is no where near concours but at the last show I was at I won a first prize, it makes all that work feel worth while here are some engine shots

Arrow 26\07\2009 Purchase Day Arrow 07470
Engine when I got it.

First part year of Ownership 600 miles

Arrow First day back on the road this Year 2010 Arrow 8070
After a bit of tinkering this Winter :wrench: :great:

The air intake pipe is just back from the polishers and will be back on tomorrow so another improvement Smile
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stright 6 Coupe, Lovely.
Dax Rush
Car-Nut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic Jarman wrote:
Stright 6 Coupe, Lovely.

Thanks Cool

Here it is at Capesthorne a couple of Wkds back...

Got some CWW on it as well now Wink
thegetawaydriver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine detailing looks superb - great job
Car-Nut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thegetawaydriver wrote:
Engine detailing looks superb - great job

Thanks Wink

I've been removing the carbs to change the insulators recently as they were weeeping due to no gaskets either side.

I was talking to the guy who was going to balance my carbs while in the process of this and he advised ideal time to overhaul them so now theyve gone off to be overhauled..

The current work has all stemmed from taking the air intake pipe off to be polished as that was the last part to be polished.

I will post some more pics soon but its all documented on my project thread below Wink
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In battle the first victim is the plan! In restorations it's the budget. I have given up setting a budget, it is what it is.
Dax Rush
Car-Nut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nic,

I set myself a budget to bring the car back to good a baseline condition as since the car was restored by a chequebook enthusiast Evil or Very Mad He drove the car 249miles from 1980 -2009 that included a 40 mile test drive by me some years it covered just 7miles MOT station and home Sad

Some people have to much money and too many cars to enjoy them all.

I have a budget which is getting smaller all the time before I do my tastefull upgrades, suspension and brakes etc thinks that will improve the car for modern day driving.

I wont be adding things like power steering etc which take away the driving experiance of a classic car.
badhuis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car-Nut wrote:
I have a budget which is getting smaller all the time before I do my tastefull upgrades, suspension and brakes etc thinks that will improve the car for modern day driving.

I wont be adding things like power steering etc which take away the driving experiance of a classic car.

Without power steering the Wolseley 6/110 of a friend did not get used a lot anymore as it was found too heavy in the city. He owns the car for nearly 30 years but he and his wife found the steering was too heavy.
We built in a modern electric power steering column and it has really changed the car. The Wols is now being used again as a daily driver instead of standing in the back of the garage!

The EPS is virtually invisible. It is placed under the dashboard so you really have to look for it.
I think the EPS is one of the most worthwhile modern upgrades for a heavy steering car in daily use.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need some info here. The plug leads are wrong for a 3.8; the plaque on the air cleaner is what? Based on the steering wheel, the car is pre-December 1962, but the interior is all wrong for that period. The wheels are wide rim, not correct 5J originals and she is wearing radials nor crossplies. The servo pipe is wrong. The carburettors are now wearing brass dash pot covers but originally they were zinced. The otter switch is wrong - should be hroizontal not vertical. The header pipe from the radiator to the engine is of a later period. The header tank is perhpas wrong too - wrong angle of the inlet but I need to research this. As an ex concours judge I am afraid I am going - at the moment - to have to pass on the car.

I hope you take this in the best of spirit. Coming from an M5 this should be a learning curve and that is what it is going to be. In the Jaguar world we see many highly polished cars that are nice but - sadly - nowhere near what they should be. The only thing we tolerate is a stainless instead of a mild steel exhaust.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: