classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

reversing light relay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
oldtimer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: reversing light relay Reply with quote

For those who were wondering when my next obscure,probably strange, query would appear this could be it.
I have just received a relay which Iexpected/assumed would have terminals marked with the format of old, i.e. 85 87 30/51.
This little chap has the three terminals marked B, E, L.apparently.
I say "apparently" since the cover has been crimped on and partially obscures these letters so that E, for example could be F, and L maybe I.
Is this another devilish plot by the E.U. or the norm for such markings,having been updated while I was in one of my Rip van Winkle modes.
Clarification either way would be much appreciated.Thank you.
oldtimer
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B= Battery/Feed, E = Earth/Feed? L = lamp?

Use a test light/meter

The numbers are continental (W German!) French use these

Old UK W1-W2 (activation windings) and C1 C2 C3 - contacts.

W2 is soimetimes missing as casing earthed for horns etc

See PM - I think you have a Jap flasher can Embarassed

See this site for decent modern relays
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/relays/relays.php
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may have got hold of a voltage stabiliser for Smiths electro-static dashboard instruments (those which move slowly). I cannot see how you could possibly have a relay with less than 4 terminals.
Could the letters possibly be B(battery) E(earth) and I(instruments)?
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horn relays do have 3 terminals but are NLA Wink
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Reversing lights are usually one or two 22 watt bulbs. Reversing lamp switches are normally very beefy devices and are more than capable of switching the current to a couple of 22 watt bulbs. Why do you want to include a relay?

Peter
oldtimer

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: reversing light relay Reply with quote

Hello Peter,
I hesitate to open this saga over again but you now have only yourself to blame!
This is an original feature on my 1968 Volvo 120 estate,not some after thought by me.The system seems,on the one hand, over engineered and, on the other, somewhat Heath Robinson.The relay is small canister with 3 terminals;1 feed from fusebox;2 wire to switch on gearbox which is a crude item,located in an aluminium housing,which earths against the relevant rail when reverse is engaged,completes the circuit and,should then allow current to flow to the 3rd pin on the relay which carries the wiring to the reversing lights and completes the job.Except the switch on the box fell apart,its replacement also,and with my abysmal ignorance of things electrical,I am not sure the relay is any good either.This is how things stand at present.Good to hear from you.Regards John.
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, one of the coil terms and the common for the contact are common.
Dax Rush
oldtimer

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: reversing relay Reply with quote

Hello Nick
Good of you to pitch in when you clearly have problems of your own at present but that is what is great about this forum and the people you meet on here.You wouldn't believe what a cheap and nasty bit of kit the switch on the gear box is! It is nothing more than a spade connector attached to a tiny spring,about one MM in diam and approx 3 MM in length.Half way along the length of this item is a moulding of rubber,virtually a grommet,which serves to locate this thing,projecting down through an aluminium housing on the rear of the gearbox which makes contact with the relevant rail which moves back into this little housing when reverse is engaged,thus completing the circuit and triggering thecontact in the relay and encouraging the reverse lights to operate!That is what would happen in an ideal world,I am told.
Regards.Hope things work out for you. John
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John, problems are little challenges that life throws at you and we feel good when we overcome them. I think it is great fun working out why these old cars are built the way they are. We just accept the level of engineering that we have now but to back track to when there was no hydraulics or coil suspension and hardly any welding, thats not work, it's fun. But we can have too much fun. Wink
PS thanks for the support.
Dax Rush
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: