classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

The Ultimate Garden Ornament...EE Lightning T5!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation
poodge

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really into these vacuum cleaners,I like my airplanes with the bang-bang on the front Laughing
All the same it's sad to see historic material being scrapped.But I suppose you can't keep everything.Where to draw the line?
Peter_L

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
There's one that I see in a scrapyard beside the A1 in Nottinghamshire.

Peter

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1226590

I used to drive past this quite often in the late 1990's.

http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/oldstuff/2002/sentinel/sentinel.htm
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there even longer

I can remember driving past it in my Lorry in the mid, or even early 80's

Roger
Peter_L

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger. Travelling South, wasn't it just before a water tower or similar on the opposite side. I seem to remember the road went slightly uphill. I last travelled that piece of road in the late 1990's but I did it quite a few times around 1983-6.
XL391

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger-hatchy wrote:
Been there even longer

I can remember driving past it in my Lorry in the mid, or even early 80's

See here, taken from the excellent Thunder & Lightnings website.

Will

1972 Daimler Sovereign 4.2 Series 1
1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XL391

I can still FEEL them now.
I saw a scramble of four in two pairs in quick succession doing the usual tail stand at the end of the runway in Germany in the 60's

Can also remember four Vulcan doing the same, not in pairs though, in Tengah, Singapore in 64 or 65.

Just as impresive was a DH comet doing the same departing Kuching about 0300hr after an engine problem left it empty and an early departure.

Roger
P3steve

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living near the now just closed RAF Coltishall air base in Norfolk the family and I would often spend an afternoon there with a picnic plane spotting there was a track/ footpath that led to an emergency access gate where you could get to within 100 yards of the end of the runway and still be on public land and as the Jaguars lined up in pairs on the end of the runway running up there engines ready for take of the pilots would wave to us giving thumbs up etc. When they throttled up you could feel the pressure in the air and had to cover your ears - great stuff though and if you followed the foot path you could walk past the end of the runway as the planes came in to land passing only about fifty feet above your head, it was amazing how many other planes would use the runway for landing practice doing touch and goes, you would often see American planes from Mildenhall and have also seen a pair of Hercules do several runs just touching the ground then going to full power to pull up again and have on many occasions seen Canberra's do both touch and goes and landings at the base once also saw a VC10 land as well. All gone now as the base closed a few years ago but we also used to go up to RAF Marham near Kings Lynn and watch the Victor tankers take off labouring to climb with a full load on, all in the past now but was glad to have had the chance to see it. The Americans were a bit more touchy and if you stopped on the road or any public area near the fence at Mildenhall within five minuets an American security/police car would draw up on the other side of the wire and sit watching you and on one occasion we were told to move on even though we were on a main A road with no (at the time) stopping restrictions out side the American area of control.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would look good on my front lawn

Last edited by Riley Blue on Wed May 19, 2010 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

riley541 wrote:
Around ten years ago there was a Fairey Gannet in a back garden in Cirencester, it could be seen by anyone driving on the ring road. It was quite bizarre, sitting there with its wings folded. I think it's now at White Waltham.

Talking of Gannets, Dad and I rescued this a few years back Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You see alot of aircraft in playgrounds, like you did steam rollers, the steam rollers have become a rarer sight now with there value increase, councils sold them off, and also the health and safety factor probably played a part, aircraft will probably go the same way!

I remember playing in a SeaKing helicoptor when I was little, I could never get into the cab, as I wasn't tall enough, in the same park was a Tank of some sort, not sure what it was, it was all welded closed, as to not get in side.

Cheers

Dave
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn you BB Laughing Laughing

You make me feel old, the Seaking hadn't even flown when I finished my service career.

I think the bigest we had was the time was the Wessex.

Roger
XL391

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger-hatchy wrote:
XL391

And you still can if you want to Roger! Ableit, they won't be standing on their tails and blasting into the wide blue yonder... However, the LPG's pairs run aborted take off is probably the noisiest thing i've ever heard! Have a look at their website below, and the website for XS458 @ Cranfield in Bedfordshire (you can ride in this one!) Both organisations are running their aircraft in the next few weeks, have a look at their websites to see when, they're well worthwhile catching!

The Lightning Preservation Group

Lightning T5 XS458

Will

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XL391 wrote:
Roger-hatchy wrote:
XL391

And you still can if you want to Roger! Ableit, they won't be standing on their tails and blasting into the wide blue yonder... However, the LPG's pairs run aborted take off is probably the noisiest thing i've ever heard! Have a look at their website below, and the website for XS458 @ Cranfield in Bedfordshire (you can ride in this one!) Both organisations are running their aircraft in the next few weeks, have a look at their websites to see when, they're well worthwhile catching!

The Lightning Preservation Group

Lightning T5 XS458

Cooo wouldn't mind a ground ride in that one!!

Some years back, I found myself near to Bruntingthorpe so called in on the off-chance I could get in, which I did. Happily, there were static engine tests underway on a Lightning. Seeing the thing bouncing on the brakes as they opened her up was something else Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Penman

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I worked at Patchway for BS/RR between '66 and '70.
It was a dispersal field for the Vulcans, when the were running up and doing a scramble TO the whole factory shook.

They were much louder and had more bottom end vibration than the Olympus 593 test bed Vulcan which was based there.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
XL391

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Some years back, I found myself near to Bruntingthorpe so called in on the off-chance I could get in, which I did. Happily, there were static engine tests underway on a Lightning. Seeing the thing bouncing on the brakes as they opened her up was something else Smile

Yep, that's Andy and the boys mate! They're a friendly bunch to boot. They're there most weekends doing one thing or another.

One of my mates did them a good turn a few years back, the result being he got to be brake man in the cockpit when she was being towed out for an engine test and he got to stand next to it when they were doing the test! Jammy bar steward... Laughing

At least one of these will be blasting up Brunty's runway next Sunday for anyone who's interested...

Will

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: