classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Rubbish parts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back when I was doing the sunday markets I bought some chinese hacksaw blades.
In vain I tried to find something they'd cut,putting them upside down in the frame so the teeth faced upwards made no difference to their cutting ability (it was zero) and cutting anything made of iron left a neat pile of pale blue ex hacksaw blade teeth on the floor under the vice.
They were flexible enough to tie in a knot and in a good hacksaw tightening the frame too much made them stretch,the only variable TPI blades in the world.
After a while I made up a sign "Throwaway hacksaw blades,made in China,10p each or ten for a £1" and sold out within hours.
There's nowt as queer as folk.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john-saab wrote:
I use cheap tap and die sets ( i bought 3 2nd hand sets from a car boot sale for £1) for cleaning threads and nothing more..it means the good set stays sharp and away from the rust.

I have used cheap (new) sets of taps and dies for over 30 years and habitually use them to clear out threads in holes and on studs etc. on reassemby to reduce future problems. Very good for that.
Usually only one tap per size is included and that seems to relate somewhere between intermediate and plug. As a result they are no good for starting new threads in holes, even though some appear to be hard enough. I think that a lot of non-technical people do not realise that three taps are normally used in sequence. In the order of taper, intermediate and plug. Which is why tapping a thread in a new hole with many of the cheaper sets is virtually impossible. I have better and COMPLETE sets for that.
Incidentally, there are tables of tapping drill sizes, but many people will not have them. Which could also cause problems. A practical way of determining drill size required is to choose a drill which will JUST pass through a good nut of the same thread, but be aware that the correct drill for a BSF or whitworth thread MAY be a metric size and for some threads may even be a number drill.

Jim.
Castellated nut

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round about 1960, for a birthday present, an uncle bought me a "socket set". This was the type of kit with a socket for every possible size and all stamped "FOREIGN" on the side. They were made of the type of metal described by Nic Jarman in his 30th June post - somewhere between Stilton cheese and mild steel.

However they have actually been immensely useful over the years! Being so soft, they are machinable and weldable and whenever I need a spanner for a special awkward job I just go to the scrap box and dig out one of these of a suitable size. For example: originally, whenever I wanted to turn the crank of my Triumph 2000 to set timing etc, I used to have to put it top gear and roll it, which was never very accurate. By turning down the OD of one of those sockets so that it would fit into the crankshaft pulley and on to the hexagon at the front of the crank and welding it to a strip of steel bent to a suitable shape, I have the perfect tool for the job.
Richard H

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few duff sets of points and condensers, also a set of (new) repro bumpers for a Mini bought from Ebay had the chrome flaking off within six months. Confused
welshrover

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont get me started on shonky so called british landrover parts Evil or Very Mad
michael1703

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had a bad landrover master cylinder, about £35 new, failed within 3 weeks.

On Ebay there are rear wheel cylinders for rover p4, I bought a pair and the studs stripped their threads upon tightening and the bore was rusty.
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Mosses came down from the mountain bearing 10 comandments. He anounce to the gathered crowd that there was an eleventh that was " Thou shallst not buy cheap, new, made in china, classic car parts from Ebay" but it broke just after he received it.
Dax Rush
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit depressed about the lack of parts avialability for my cars (70s Vauxhalls) until I was talking to a local chap about his MGB that was recently sold. He also mentioned that although there's great availability of parts, he's had to send back more than 50% of the stuff he's bought recently, just because it's rubbish or doesn't fit.
michael1703

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic Jarman wrote:
And Mosses came down from the mountain bearing 10 comandments. He anounce to the gathered crowd that there was an eleventh that was " Thou shallst not buy cheap, new, made in china, classic car parts from Ebay" but it broke just after he received it.

unless its a full hose kit for a 420g for £35 delivered when sng barrat want £65 and its made by the same people

Most of the big names supply sub standard crap too
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to spens money on pellets you put in the tank or things that attach with a couple of wires or stuff you pour in any of various holes that all laim to repair,renew or revitalise your engine gearbox etc,Ebay is the place to go.
Desperatdan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: parts that do not! Reply with quote

Remember replacing a wonkey ignition switch with a brand new out of the box one on a Sprite a while back, annyone who has done that knows how fiddely it is, only to find it did´nt, switch that is.
I wunder what it was made for?

Dan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: