classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Flasher unit!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
bertie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Flasher unit! Reply with quote

Hello again. Ever since I removed the temporary rear lights/bumper set-up

...and fitted these side/tail lights only...

...I have a predictable problem! The flasher unit is designed of course to operate two or more bulbs per side, but now there is only one per side it operates at twice the normal speed. A guy told me a quick fix to this, but having a memory like a sieve- I`ve forgotten it! Would anyone be kind enough to tell me how to cure it without wiring in another bulb per side? Many thanks in advance...
lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My C-type was fixed by adding a relay and a twin filament bulb adaptation. Works a treat!

Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the late 1950s/early 60s most London cabs had one single flasher each side on the roof. Flashers of suitable Wattage were available. Dunno whether they still are though.

But then it just occurred to me that you are possibly still running on 6 Volts. If so, flasher units for 6 volt motorcycles are available. The one I have on my Triumph Motorbike, bought from a local motorbike dealer, is rated 20 to 42 Watts and will handle a single bulb easily.

Jim.
bertie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for that. Bertie is 12 volt unfortunately- a bike flasher would have worked! The idea of a double filament adaption and relay is worth a go, many thanks both.. Smile
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! You fooled me. I did not know you were a convert! Well, OK then. Many modern motorbikes (12 volt) use 2 x 10 Watt bulbs each side, so a modern motorbike flasher unit should be happy with a single 21 Watt bulb.
But watch the polarity, because the later ones may be solid state units designed for negative earth only.
I suppose you are now going to tell me that you have negative earth. Mind you, if you haven't, conversion is a matter of minutes. The longest job being swapping over battery and coil connections. Then you only need to re-polarise the dynamo by disconnecting the terminals and then touching the SMALL terminal with a live connection from the battery for about 5 seconds. Job done!
Then you can bring Bertie bang up to date with a CD player!

Jim.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertie

All you need is a flasher unit that is not 'load-sensitive'. Most OEM flashers were designed to run 2x21W bulbs (+ perhaps a 6W side repeater) at the correct flash rate. If one bulb fails, the flash rate increases & you can tell this from the dashboard indicator - it's a safety thing.

Look for a 'heavy-duty' flasher, or one designed for trailer towing - these are NOT 'load-sensitive' - if one bulb fails the remaining bulbs continue to flash at the correct rate. They are straight plug-in replacements & stock Lucas units, I'm just sorry I can't remember the part numbers!

Mike
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/relays/flashers.php

Bottom row! Wink
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that address Phil. I've been adding to this post while wondering where I might get a new 6 volt flasher unit for my Speed Twin.

Jim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: