classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Fitting seat belts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
1stpop

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Fitting seat belts Reply with quote

Does anyone have any advice about fitting seat belts? I have a Morris 8 series E and want to fit some sort of seat belts/harness for my kids in the rear seats.
First Bedford

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good important topic.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Bedford wrote:
A good important topic.

I totally agree, but I would never offer "how to do it" advice on this subject for an older car.
Firstly, no "hard points" were built into those cars and it will be difficult to find attachment points offering adequate resistance in the direction required.
Secondly, older cars have no "crumple zones" and therefore in a "head on" they will need to be even stronger than modern setups to be effective.
Thirdly, however carefully the car has been cared for or restored it will never be as strong as in its heyday. There must always be hidden corrosion which cannot be seen or cured. A visit to any scrap yard with crashed cars makes this very obvious.

Admittedly anything is better than nothing from a safety aspect, but it is best not to gain a false sense of security from such a modification. My Gentry has seat belts and I use them, though I am fully aware that they are not "crash tested", so I temper my driving accordingly.

Jim Walker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: