classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Rear Reflectors
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Austin-sixteen-Cornwall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Rear Reflectors Reply with quote

I was just looking at my Austin Sixteen 1931 when I realised that it did not have rear red reflectors. It has just passed its MOT Very Happy but I was wondering if rear reflectors are mandatory? Looking at MOT pass/fail website it says they should be checked but it does not mention that they are not required by cars before a certain date.

Any info would be very welcome

Thanks Arnold
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered that about my '34 Minor, as that too had no reflectors when I bought it. I *believe* it should have had them for the MOT, so I found some suitably old ones and popped them on it.

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Do the rear light lenses have a reflective look in them?

I allways thought this covered it. If it has passed the MOT, and hasn't had any in the past, then don't worry too much in my oppinion.

Cheers

Dave
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On SEARCH but one of the few retro laws - not certain wheter it applies to very early 1930's cars but does to those after 1937 at least. Only became standard on many cars in the early 1950's eg early P4's did not have any and conversion kits were supplied - Lucas made "Reflex" back light lens converters too
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
47p2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None on my P2 Shocked
Austin-sixteen-Cornwall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No -the existing lights are Lucas "Pork Pie" units with no reflective properties at all. I am thinking of changing them to the same but with the
triple bulb -side / stop / flasher units as I do not have any indicators at all at present. Arnold
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember about 1956 that our garage was inundated with customers requiring reflectors to be fitted to their cars to conform with new Regulations. I do not remember any exemption for any cars except those (very few) which had reflective surfaces built in to existing lamps and not lit by the rest of the lamp. There were requirements set for lateral position and height and size.
Around that time, but probably a little earler, a Law was passed that all cars had to have two matching and equally spaced rear lamps no less than the length of an oblong number plate apart. I think there were some exemptions to this for cars built before about 1927, but don't take that date as Gospel.

Jim.
PeterR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Rear Reflectors Reply with quote

I've just returned from my MOT for the A7 1934 vintage. The garage picked up that there were no rear reflectore - nor had there ever been any! However, he quoted the regs are being - NO exemption for any vehicle by age - only if the vehicle has no lights fitted, they are permanently disconnected and/or painted/masked over, the vehicle is for day use only and won't be moved in poor light conditions or visability....

The requirement is for two red reflectors, rear facing and fitted along the longitudinal line of the car. There doesn't seem to be any fixed position or placement, reflective tape is a no-no!

His suggestion, a pair of bike reflectors are fine if like me, you've no interest in night driving (6Volt system might make that interesting!). Check your rear lights first, some later Lucus units had reflectors built into the glass - mine didn't. BTW, I passed on the promise they'd be fitted soonest... Hope this helps
Pete
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Reflectors Reply with quote

PeterR wrote:
I've just returned from my MOT for the A7 1934 vintage. The garage picked up that there were no rear reflectore - nor had there ever been any! However, he quoted the regs are being - NO exemption for any vehicle by age - only if the vehicle has no lights fitted, they are permanently disconnected and/or painted/masked over, the vehicle is for day use only and won't be moved in poor light conditions or visability....

The requirement is for two red reflectors, rear facing and fitted along the longitudinal line of the car. There doesn't seem to be any fixed position or placement, reflective tape is a no-no!

His suggestion, a pair of bike reflectors are fine if like me, you've no interest in night driving (6Volt system might make that interesting!). Check your rear lights first, some later Lucus units had reflectors built into the glass - mine didn't. BTW, I passed on the promise they'd be fitted soonest... Hope this helps
Pete

I think your tester is essentially right Peter. Except that I believe they had to be within 10 inches of the extremity, which generally meant rear mudguard mounting for most cars of the time, I think there was a rather ridiculous height limit of around 8ft.
I stand by everything in my previous post. I was there and I fitted countless reflectors to older cars (and later additional rear lamps) when the Law insisted.
I was also one of the first MOT inspectors and I agree with your tester except on positioning. But it was a long time ago!

By the way, they MUST be red. One of the testers I worked alongside frequently failed vehicles because in his opinion reflectors (and sometimes rear lamps) were not red enough! Admittedly many plastic lenses of that time had a tendency to fade towards orange.

Jim
emmerson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47p2,you have a very understanding MOT tester! As jim has said, there is no exemption on reflectors - they must be fitted to all vehicles. Like Jim, I was there, too! (although only an apprentice!)
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
There is no mention of position other than symetrical in the MoT manual.
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm
On the other hand the rear position lights must signify the extremities of the vehicle.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi

On the other hand the rear position lights must signify the extremities of the vehicle.

I think somewhere along the line the positioning of rear lamps has changed or differently stated.

I am pretty sure that the requirements at the time two rear lights were insisted upon, the requirement was that they were equidistant from the centre. This led to lots of cars carrying one "D" shaped rear/numberplate lamp acquiring another at the opposite end of the number plate. In fact my Austin FL1 was one such and still has them, only a number plate apart. Though it has red reflectors on the rear wings about 10 inches from the extremeties. It also often led to three red lamps where originally only one central lamp served also to illuminate the number plate.

I have in mind that a reason given for the introduction was to distinguish a car from a motorcycle by showing it was WIDER than a two wheel vehicle. Could that be interpreted as an indication of width or "signifying the extremities of the vehicle"?

Oh to be a Lawyer!!!!!

Jim.
Austin-sixteen-Cornwall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. You have confirmed what I thought.
Are there any suitable lamps incorporating reflectors / stop / tail / indicators ?

Thanks again Arnold
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot find the Construction & Use regs 1986 but the earlier version in my AA Book of the Car from 1969 says the tail lights (now called the rear position lamps) should be within 16 of the outside and more than 21" apart nad between 15"-42" above ground.

These dimensions must be still be around even if they are now metric?

See 1989 regs Sch 10 pt1 para 2!

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_15.htm#nsch10

The MOT manual says the precise position is not part of the MOT test but C & U regs will still apply
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHIL, those figures ring VERY loud bells in my mind. 21 inches being the length of an oblong number plate. And I remember the second (outer) dimension made it easier to fit new rear lamps on a flatter part of the body than the typical rear mudguard and made it possible to place lamps so that the rear of the lamps and the wiring were not subjected to dirt and spray off the rear wheels.

Thanks, Jim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: