classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

The A1 in Colour August 1939
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: The A1 in Colour August 1939 Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYmFxoLb4OM&feature=channel
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How tranquil it seems - many signs of the 1930's new road building program that left many of the roads unchanged right until 1970's there were still many single carriageway stretches even then!

eg Stilton and Grantham although no longer the A1 as it bypasses them sometimes more than once as the cut-off/bypass has been bypessed a 3rd time.

Plentiful use of the centre suicide lane all but gone now along with the telephone pole trunks.
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
pigtin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw two hotels I stayed in in the 70s. Some things never change.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone clever enough to date this? I THINK the quick shot of the monument at Norman Cross dates this after the 2nd War, but I'm not sure.
Much of it is as I remember it from the early 50s, but it by-passed Stilton even then.

In the late 60s early 70s I travelled very frequently between Cambridge and Chesterfield. and was witness (subject?) to great changes as it was constantly being changed to dual carriageway. In the 10 years concerned there was NEVER a trip with no major road-works. I particularly remember the apalling HOWL from tyres on a new stretch of concrete road which by-passed Long Bennington, South of Newark, which caused lots of drivers to pull up and check their vehicles.

Jim.
pigtin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim.Walker wrote:
Anyone clever enough to date this? I THINK the quick shot of the monument at Norman Cross dates this after the 2nd War, but I'm not sure.
Much of it is as I remember it from the early 50s, but it by-passed Stilton even then.

In the late 60s early 70s I travelled very frequently between Cambridge and Chesterfield. and was witness (subject?) to great changes as it was constantly being changed to dual carriageway. In the 10 years concerned there was NEVER a trip with no major road-works. I particularly remember the apalling HOWL from tyres on a new stretch of concrete road which by-passed Long Bennington, South of Newark, which caused lots of drivers to pull up and check their vehicles.
Jim.

I remember it well. The firm I worked for had a warehouse at Newark
and the first time I went there in 1970, passing Huntingdon I had brake failure on my Type3 VW Karmann Ghia. I drove the rest of the way on the handbrake. The unexpected noise from the road only added to my misery.
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

If the whole film is from the same period then it has to be wartime based on the barrage balloons deployed over London. I guess the photographer drove the 37/38 Buick Century?? that appears parked at the side of the road in some shots. I was amazed at the number of convertibles zooming around.

Art
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are different dates - no blackout precautions evident either eg headlamp masks, missing sgnage and white stripes so some may have been late summer 1939
Land Rover S2 & S3
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
Jim,

If the whole film is from the same period then it has to be wartime based on the barrage balloons deployed over London. I guess the photographer drove the 37/38 Buick Century?? that appears parked at the side of the road in some shots. I was amazed at the number of convertibles zooming around.

Art

I got interrupted and never noticed the barrage baloons Art. However, none of the vehicles have wartime shrouds nor the very common white lining round wheel arches etc. and all the street lamps seem to be complete. Almost all light units (gas and electric) were put away in storage for the duration. I did not even know what the topless posts at roadsides were until I was several years old and they started replacing the lamps on top of them. My friends and I thought they were wondrous things!

Just after the balloons, a black van pulls out of a turning on the left. It looks remarkably like a Jowett Bradford. Were they produced pre-war? I know the Jowett Javelin was not produced until about 1949.

I too noted the number of convertibles. A pity the little red car (MG?) is not in better focus.

EDIT: Sorry Phil. we were thinking similar things, but you posted yours while I was still typing mine!

Jim.
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil/Jim

My dad spoke of a period between Sept '39 and the beginning of 1940 as the 'phoney war'. Perhaps all the blackout stuff hadn't come into action until the bombing started. The place names were all still there. I thought that they were removed during the war to prevent spies/paratroops finding their way around?? Or is that a bit simplistic?

Art
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
There would have been practise deployment of balloons before war was declared on 15th Sept and the date at the bottom of the Titkle page says August '39.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Peter, some amazing standards of driving and overtaking going on Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
47Jag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Re the white lining on wings, I watched another film in that collection 'London 1942' and there are no vehicles there with the white lining. Perhaps that was an option. There is an American army GMC in the footage so I would think that it would make it 1943-ish.

Art
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
Jim,

Re the white lining on wings, I watched another film in that collection 'London 1942' and there are no vehicles there with the white lining. Perhaps that was an option. There is an American army GMC in the footage so I would think that it would make it 1943-ish.

Art

White lining was not compulsory. I have photos of a two vehicle collision taken during the War. One has white lining the other does not. I would post the pic, but I get in a mess. Sorry.

Jim.
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I saw somewhere that it was filmed in August 1939.

Peter
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the first title clip Embarassed

If its true Wink
Land Rover S2 & S3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: