classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Rolled Edge on sheet steel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Rolled Edge on sheet steel Reply with quote

Hi all

I need to put a rolled edge on sheet steel to make up a set of period van shelves (see below), I am considering simply bending the metal over a thin steel rod. What do you think? or do you know of a firm who could form a rolled edge ?

Cheers

Dave

WLC4EVA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you've got lots of money to spend, I suggest you visit some local industrial estates, look for places that work metal, and ask them.

Another route is find you local fastener shop, and ask if they know anyone.

Cash at the side/back/office door is likely to get you a better price than a telephon enquiry via Yell.com, especially now times are harder.

Kind Regards, WLC
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have suggestions, but first - what diameter rolled edge UKDave? And where you is roughly?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Uncle Alec

About 1/4 " diameter and I'm Cheshire based.

Dave
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - the cheat's way should do it. I am assuming you don't have access to edging jenny or long folder.
Get some ΒΌ" mild steel rod longer than the shelves. Do your maths and cut the metal blanks allowing 3-and-a-bit times the rod diameter for a flange from which to form the rolled edge.
Tack-weld the rod (tig or if not MiG) onto the blank at the right place to allow you to pein over the roll. Place the tacks on the inboard side from the rolled edge.
Two pieces of substantial angle iron to form impromptu vice jaws - in a workmate - clamp the blank with the rod resting on the angle iron. Grind away a little land from the jaws where the tack welds lie - you can move the blank along in the jaws when needed, then grind away the tack welds (with an ultra-thin cutting disc in an angle grinder) when the wire is gripped by the rolled edge, and pein over those areas last.
Pein over the rolled edge using a flat-face body hammer, then finish the roll with a cross pein.
This is the hammer I use:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SNAP-PANEL-BEATING-HAMMER-NEW-AND-UNUSED-/180534368704?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2a08afd9c0

No doubt there will be others advising of their way. Myself, I start wired edges off by jennying along the initial roll-start line and then just gripping the wire in place without welding, but it takes a bit of practice. And I'm not good enough to leave an unblemished surface - there are always a few stray hammer marks!
Opportunities abound for injuring yourself, so don't attempt it unless you are sure.
rustyreks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: wire edging Reply with quote

I recently bought David Gardiners dvd he explains how to do your own edging etc a very good investment if you want to do this type of work yourself he is excellent if you are interested go to metalshapingzone.com i soon paid off my dvd on my first repair job so money well spent regards rustyreks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: