classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Early 1930s CAV starter motor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Bob Kellock

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Early 1930s CAV starter motor Reply with quote

A friend of mine has recently bought an early 1930s Lea Francis Ace of Spades which had a knackered CAV type SD101 starter motor. The copper coloured bushes were too small for the holders which had been packed out with some brass shim.
As he was anxious to get it going I filed down some new Lucas M418G brushes, skimmed the commutator and made a new bush for the commutator end.

It seems to work OK now but I wonder if the material of the relatively modern brushes is likely to cause any problem as I guess that the originals were pure carbon.

Incidentally can anyone explain why the commutator insulation is undercut for a dynamo but not for a starter?
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higher metal content gives highr current flow but can cause more comm wear. I doubt whether this will casue any problems on yours though and may be better

Under cutting armature on starter motors should not be done as it causes sparking/burning between segments
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: