classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

6V Electronic Ignition Conversion?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Mello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: 6V Electronic Ignition Conversion? Reply with quote

I know the 6v/12v discussion is regularly revisited here, so I'm not going to flog that. However, can anybody advise me on what options I have to convert my contact/points to an electronic contactless ignition system in my 6 volt 1956 Ford Pop 103E?

Useful suggestions appreciated Smile
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maplin sell a kit for less than £10, its designed for 12v but by changing a couple of resitors (in the instructions and cost about 20p) it will work on 6v systems.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=3162

It dosn't replace the points, they are still used but now only as a switch carrying very low currents, the condenser is effectivly redundant but can be left in place. The big advantage it gives is the speed of the coil field collapse, better spark and allows you to open the plug gap up a tad.
Dave
Mello

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, looks like a possible option, however I'm positive earth and this unit is for negative earth only. D'oh. Sad
Salopian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Maplins Velleman kit is excellent - building is easy and it works well. I've several spare ones lying about plus one is running the ignition with a coil on my Sunbeam via the magneto points and distributor head. I carry a coil another built kit and some wire in the Alvis in case of Magneto failure.
There are not that easy to box however - the mounting stud is live. I have fitted the Sunbeam one behind and on the wooden dashboard.
Possibly can be used on postive earth by suitable wiring and mounting but I can't say sorry - mine are all negative earth.
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get a circuit diagram with it and if you do could one of you scan it and post it?
Dax Rush
Salopian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic
I've got a spare instructions and circuit somewhere - I'll pop a copy in the post - its a simple circuit anyway all discrete components. I could not be bothered to roll my own so bought a few kits in a Maplin sale.
PM me your address and I'll send.
Mello

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, thanks for the input gents, but I still don't have any viable slutions. Confused

Can anybody advise me on what options I have to convert my contact/points to an electronic contactless ignition system in my 6 volt 1956 Ford Pop 103E, which has positive earth?
47Jag

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mello,

There's no reason why you have to keep the car positive earth. You can switch it to negative earth easily and gain the benefits that you are looking for. All that's required is to repolarise the dynamo and reverse the coil connections. There are instructions here on previous posts. Just search on re-polarising or 'flashing a dynamo'. Get the Maplin ignition kit and you can do it all when you install it.

Art
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: