classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Wheel Nuts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Wheel Nuts Reply with quote

I need to replace a couple of wheel nuts on the DLM1. Front and Rear.

Thought as a couple need replacing might as well replace the whole lot.

My question is with reference to the 'taper' of the nut to wheel
Is this a standard taper on all cars.
All the ones I have looked at are 60 deg.

I need long reach for the front as the non standard wire wheels make it impossible to get the socket or spider to fully cover the nut.

Also front and rear are different sizes, front axle/hub 1935 Standard 9, rear axle Ford 100e.

As I am replacing them all I am also wondering if I can get different internal/screw sizes but match the outer hexagonal sizes.

Roger
MVPeters

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they're not all the same taper. I think it's OK to use a 60deg taper nut on a 45deg taper wheel, but not the other way around. The narrower taper may bottom out on the stud before it fully engages with the wheel taper - ie it goes "all the way through".
Just get a deep socket, rather than try to find extended nuts.

& on a totally different topic, you need one of these!
http://s775.photobucket.com/albums/yy33/mvpeters_98/Lincoln/

[img]http://s775.photobucket.com/albums/yy33/mvpeters_98/Lincoln/[/img]
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Will have to do a measure up and see what the taper on front and back are before ordering then.

As to the socket it's not the depth of the socket, it's the obstruction to the bottom end of the nut, on the front the nuts are deeper than normal but the socket only reaches/covers about 25% of the nut.

The wheels were made for the car from West London Wheels, I believe they did a similar wheels for Austin 7's. most people's reaction on seeing the wheels is that the chassis is Austin 7.

On the other topic Shocked
Creepy,
just come off another car forum, we were discussing mobiles and I posted a photo of an original mobile (cell) phone, one with the rucksack battery pack, and an answer to that was similar to your photo.
Creepy Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: