classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Petrol Additive (Lead Replacement)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Petrol Additive (Lead Replacement) Reply with quote

Over here in Malta yesterday was announced that due to another (STUPID) EU legislation LRP (lead replacement petrol) will be no more as from the beginning of 2011!!
LRP Replaced leaded petrol and was available direct from the pump at petrol stations!!

What lead replacement additives are there that really do what they say on the tin?
I know that with the very low mileage I do in my old cars I can probably put unleaded in without any additives without doing much harm to the valve seats (or at least until a certain mileage is achieved) but I wouldnt mind trying an additive if I knew it does work and I am not throwing my money at a myth!!

Also some say that in order to get the best from unleaded the ignition must be retarded slightly or is it advanced slightly!?!
Kelsham

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: lead replacement Reply with quote

I use Castrol valvemaster, it seems to work well. I used it in my Morris 1800 for about 30,000 miles without problems.

When I rebuilt the engine I fitted hardened valves and seats.

I also use it in my air cooled Bsa vee twin three wheeler Trike 1932. This obviously runs very hot.

Castrol market two types of valvemaster one claims to have an octane booster.
Regards Kels.
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the valvemaster with octane booster should in theory up the octane levels so that the ignition does not need to be retarded is it?

I do not do much mileage in a year in my classics, maybe one (the most used) averages about 500 mls per year so with valvemaster it should last and I would not need to put hardened inserts is it?
And what you said about hardened valves, is it necessary? I used to beleive that only the valve seats were needed!!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading that you shouldn't mix additives either, so pick one and stick with it.

I occasionally put some Castrol in the (sidevalve) 34 Minor (because it came with a spare unopened tin when I bought it), but the other engines I've never bothered with.

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see what is available in our market, hopefully it will be imported!!
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you rev engine regularly over 3000 rpm and do high annual mileage its a waste of money. There will be sufficionet Lead memory if valve have not be reground anyway.

Big con in this country
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Salopian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mess with substitutes use Tetraboost (google it) which is the real stuff.
Comes with skull and crossbones warnings so take care!
Brilliant stuff.
No connection - very satisfied customer only.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I personally like the Castrol additive, comes with a really user friendly mesure in the top of the container too! Does a great job!

Cheers

Dave
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - Nottingham wrote:
Unless you rev engine regularly over 3000 rpm and do high annual mileage its a waste of money. There will be sufficionet Lead memory if valve have not be reground anyway.

Big con in this country

I agree with you Phil. I've met very few (i.e. less than a handful) of classic owners who use an additive.
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like to rev the minis a bit and both have had an engine rebuild with valves regrounded, albeit some 9/10 years ago!!!
However both are rarely used and the most frequently used one only averages around 500 mls per year!!
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I use the Wynns additive,I agree at low engine revs and loads it's proably unecessary but it costs little and gives a bit of extra insurance.
One thing to avoid is the pellets and other nonsense sold on Ebay,these do absolutely nothing despite claims that your engine will last for ever and develop power and economy that it never had when new.
Total rubbish.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear!
Will this subject never go away? Elsewhere on this Forum the subject has been exhaustively raised again and again.
Throw away all the money you like to waste on additives and let the purveyors laugh all the way to the bank! In any case, how far do you expect to drive in Malta?
For about 15 years my Triumph 2000 engine has been running on unleaded without conversion and no trouble. Just in case you think it does not get used it now has over 150,000 miles on the clock. It did over 1000 miles in ten days last month. A lot of it towing a caravan, including about 250 miles of Motorways at 60 mph whenever possible!
I have also run my two 1950s Triumph motorbikes on unleaded for years with no problems. One or other is used on club runs totalling about 250 miles every week, plus "nice day" outings as often as possible. Matching the legal speeds of companions riding modern bikes.
Using additives just about equates with me a 72 year old widower putting on a condom every day - just in case! Laughing
Jim.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim.Walker wrote:

Using additives just about equates with me a 72 year old widower putting on a condom every day - just in case! Laughing
Jim.

Brilliant Jim - I'll remember that! Laughing Laughing Laughing
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some engines have seats harder than others,some pensioners etc etc.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't somebody say that the quickest & easiest way to convert a car to unleaded petrol was to fill the tank with it?

I'm in the US & I don't think any old car owners, or owners of old cars, did anything special when leaded gas went away some years ago.
& the additive & hardened-seat purveyors didn't get rich either.............
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: