classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Petrol Additive (Lead Replacement)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Richard H

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting. The first A35 I had I religiously ran it with Castrol Valvemaster, and I had no problems. When I bought my 2nd blue A35 the owner told me he'd fitted a 'catalyst' in the tank that cost £80! so it would be alright for unleaded petrol. I drove it for 3000 miles with no problems at all. I've done about 7000 miles in the last year in my current black A35 with no additives, nothing. Again no problems. I did a decoke and reground the valves and seats about 1000 miles ago, there was absolutely no sign of any recession.

About 20 years ago Practical Classics did a test of running a Morris 1800 on unleaded petrol for 3000 miles, which included lots of hard motorway driving. After the test severe valve seat recession was discovered. I wonder if some engines are more prone to it than others?

So I'm a bit worried as I have one unconverted B series car already and am thinking about buying another one. Mind you, Castrol Valvemaster is £8 a bottle, so it doesn't take much additive to match the cost of having hardened valve seats fitted.
Kelsham

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: unleaded Reply with quote

Well there is no doubt that valve seat recession is real. It can be masked by the lead already deposited on the components.

Less likely as time passes.

The problem is worst when the engine is extended. If you only do local journeys at slow speeds the valves and seats may survive without assistance.

I use valvemaster in my 1932 BSA three wheeler aircooled Trike. Obviously this runs hot.

I personally prefer the insurance the valve master promises.

My Morris 1800 finally recessed the seats when I developed an air leak which weakened the mixture. I couldnt really blame the additive as I had exceede 30,000 miles on it.

Regards Kels.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard H wrote:
Practical Classics did a test of running a Morris 1800 on unleaded petrol for 3000 miles, which included lots of hard motorway driving. After the test severe valve seat recession was discovered. I wonder if some engines are more prone to it than others?

So I'm a bit worried as I have one unconverted B series car already and am thinking about buying another one. Mind you, Castrol Valvemaster is £8 a bottle, so it doesn't take much additive to match the cost of having hardened valve seats fitted.

You have underlined what I have been saying for years, "save the money on additives and IF seat recession occurs you will have plenty of money to have hardened inserts fitted and still not need to pay for additives".

As to the B series engines. As stated elsewhere on the Forum. We ran a fleet of 1800 Taxis on unleaded. We never needed to fit hardened seats on any car. We ran them for well over 100,000 miles each and the engines were usually shot in other ways long before we suspected any serious seat regression problems. None of them showing increased fuel consumption or loss of power which might suggest it. And believe me a typical taxi driver chasing a bonus really knows how to hammer an engine!
Jim.
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without fuelling the debate I would say Tetraboost, which has already been mentioned is the real deal - tetraethyl lead. But you may have difficulty importing it to Malta. Regards the use of leaded fuel in older cars, one cannot make mass generalisations, some cars had softer valve seats so are more liable to valve seats receding into the head. If the head on your car is readily available then fine but on my car the heads are like hens teeth, while reproduction replacements are about £3,000. Also there is not a lot of metal between the valve seats and the waterways and ports so it's advisable to not to run it and hope for the best. Better to use lead replacement or get hardened seats.
Salopian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I mentioned Tetraboost earlier - it is absolutely the real deal. Going slightly off the additive topic the point made by Rich (5 litres by 'eck I'm jealous) Cool about the valve seats is interesting. I've always felt the castings on say an A series are not so hard as many pre war cars but this is entirely subjective.
I've wondered how long the so called "memory" lasts and whether with our limited (generally) mileages it is really a worry. After all we have no vested interest in selling anything if you see what I mean.
Richard H

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always used unleaded in the Austin Sevens, the engine was designed before lead was introduced to petrol and it actually says in the original handbook "unleaded petrol can be used without detriment to the engine" Cool
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Talbot and Morris 8 were built before lead was put in petrol but they do run better with an additive (valve master).
Dax Rush
Salopian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I suspect reading the Handbook further may reveal decokes every 8000 miles or less -- and valve reseating. Who is up for greasing every few hundred miles?
We are rather spoilt nowadays - who last did a decoke and valve grind on a newer car.
The modern car - electronics aside - is an excellent product compared to that of the pre and post war era so far as durabilty and maintenance is concerned. In spite of that I love my old stuff.
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Jonathan, put new engines into old cars - sorted!
Dax Rush
Salopian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear in the case of many vintage cars that has already happened - you can buy a surprising variety of new reproduction engines!!!!
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this argument will go on and on.
The way I look at it is that the additives are pretty cheap,maybe the valve seats on my old buses will start to recede without them and maybe not but for the sake of a few bob I might be able to stop it from starting it if it was the case that it needs stopping,if not ,I've spent a few quid on stopping something that wasn't going to start anyway but if it did start would make the engine stop and never start,eventually.
I think I've clarified that rather well.
P3steve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic Jarman wrote:
OK Jonathan, put new engines into old cars - sorted!

I'm sure we've been down this road before in a previous thread
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please accept my resignation fom this topic! Rolling Eyes
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine too
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: