classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Recommendations on starter re-build.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
john-saab

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Recommendations on starter re-build. Reply with quote

The 1934 Morgan Super Sport has been up-graded in the past and had a starter motor (instead of the crank handle) fitted..from a bit of research it turns out to be a modified Triumph 1300 unit. The starter has lost it's rear bush and I need to find someone who can be trusted to re-build it..the last few companies i used let me down so i could do with a few pointers to a trusted company..if you know someone please let me know asap..we need the car in 2 weeks time for a special occasion.
John.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

There is a place up here near me in cheshire, got to be the best around these days, but it is a trek for you!

Cheers

Dave
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've C&P'd to a triumph forum, might stike lucky
I'll keep you posted on here if you don't have any luck meantime
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one reply so far.
It's a link to ebay so not sure if it's what you need

Copy n Paste from the other forum site

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lucas-st.....;hash=item5d2ba50b41

Depending on how modified it is, you can get bush and brush kit off EBay that sorts them out 100%:

Had one off him earlier this year and it totally cured my intermittent starting problems.

It's listed for the M35G ("normal" rotation version) but all the parts fit the "reverse" rotation starter for the 1300. The only caveat to that is that the front bush is very slightly too long so needs to be compared with the old one and shortened before fitting (you can do it after fitting with a Dremel but it's easier out of the motor).

To do the rear bush you only need to be able to undo a few screws and push it (by finger) into place. To do the whole starter (brushes and front bush as well) you need to be able to solder and devise a clamp for the Bendix spring - you can remove them with a couple of pairs of Mole grips but it's a bit of a balancing act and they really fly if you get it wrong!

Assuming the windings are ok, you'll find that the kit above brings the motor back to virtually new performance for under £15 and about a couple of hours time (the first time you do one)
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listing removed overnight, Sorry

But it sounds as though you can do it DIY.
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listing is back on again
Repair kit
john-saab

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We found an amazing company in Chatham, Kent from an article in the Jaguar drivers club magazine. We sent the starter off on a Tuesday and it was back..and in almost new condition on Friday (we stripped it to see what had been done and found they had done more than expected). They were super helpful and communications were second to none. The price to completely over-haul the unit..£57 Shocked ..£10 on top for next day postage and it worked out cheaper than a 2nd hand unit from a well known Triumph breakers.
The company was T.A. Spares...and i will highly reccomend them..so much so that i sent a generator for a TR2 off this week and have plans to use them for other items in the near future.
Roger-hatchy..thank's for your links but this unit needed much more than a set of brushes..it had lost the rear bush and the internals were damaged because of a floating shaft.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: