classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

speedometer accuracy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
oldtimer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: speedometer accuracy Reply with quote

I am curious about speedo factors, for example who knows how accurate/inaccurate their particular instrument is or if it is checked at any time in some way,like M.O.T or by the Police if it became an issue if one were stopped for speeding?
How much would it be influenced by tyre/wheel changes from the original or by fitting of overdrive gearboxes and/or swapping of differential gearing or a combination of some or all of these elements?
Are there firms who deal with such issues?

oldtimer
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to speedo accuracy, mine shows Urm something between this and this, usualy swinging up to 10 mph
25 mph on the speedo = 30mph on the road
30 mph = 40
after that who knows.
At 80, I know I shouldn't, it bounces between 55 and 60.

I ended up fitting a bicycle computer, more accurate, and cheaper than any fines.

Got to get it on a rolling road to fine tune it but at 31 on the cycle speedo the speed warning light at the end of our road flashes to slow down.

I tried using my satnav but over 40 the wind noise drowned it out.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my modern daily runner the speedo is about 10% out reading fast, roughly the same as my 1928 vintage car!
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: speedometer accuracy Reply with quote

oldtimer wrote:
or if it is checked at any time in some way,like M.O.T or by the Police if it became an issue if one were stopped for speeding?
How much would it be influenced by tyre/wheel changes from the original or by fitting of overdrive gearboxes and/or swapping of differential gearing or a combination of some or all of these elements?
Are there firms who deal with such issues?

oldtimer

As I understand it the speedometer accuracy is not checked in the MOT test. I doubt if the Police would ever check your speedo accuracy as it is your responsibility drive within the law. Speedo inaccuracy doesn't excuse you.

The tyre diameter definitely alters the gearing and thus speedo accuracy, although a worn tyre will cause the speedo to over estimate the speed as will one that is running at lower than normal pressure so such causes will probably not get you into trouble.

Moving from crossplies to radials will generally reduce your rolling radius so again keeping you out of trouble.

When an overdrive is fitted then the speedo drive gears need to match the originals.

Changing rear axle (final drive) ratio will cause a proportional change in the speedo reading. Moving to a higher ratio will cause the speedo to under estimate your speed so a speedo recalibration or change of speedo drive gears will be needed.

There are quite a few places that give a roadside display of your speed and appear to give a pretty accurate check.

Peter

Last edited by peter scott on Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't rely on those flashing signs to check your speedo!
I regularly ride in a group on motorcycles. At constant speed it is quite amusing to see that the signs often change with almost every bike. Sometimes around + or - 5MPH.
Almost every Smiths or Jaeger speedo has a small number on the dial either below the trip window or almost hidden behind the bezel at the bottom of the dial. That is the number of turns the cable should make every mile for that speedo to register correctly. It does not take a genius to mark out an exact portion of a mile and roll the car over that distance counting cable turns. A cardboard flag on the disconnected cable helps. The turns per mile can then be easily worked out. If you send a speedo away to be calibrated that info will be required.
Fitting an overdrive designed for that vehicle is generally ok. I think the speedo drive is generally chosen to match. Others may not. Any change of wheel diameter or tyre section will mess things up as will a change of back axle ratio.
Been there! Done all that! I was lucky though. it was in the days when there were plenty of scrapped cars with similar speedos and I found one only 2 turns per mile adrift. I just swapped those innards into my speedo case to retain the matching parts of the instrument.
Most areas have a measured mile usually on a public road for the use of Police and for the Local Authority to check taxi meters. If you can find out where that is then of course a steady 30 mph should take 2 minutes. I know where ours is. I used to operate taxis.
Peter, you beat me to the Post! I must have been typing when you posted.You mention tyre wear. A London cab I used to drive on a regular 9.4 mile run on new tyres used to clock 9.5 when the tyres were worn. In fact the difference was well outside the allowed meter tolerance of two yards in a mile! In the end, every car went for a meter check on brand new tyres because we knew it would fail otherwise and it was easier than re-calibrating the meter.
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim.Walker wrote:
Don't rely on those flashing signs to check your speedo!
I regularly ride in a group on motorcycles. At constant speed it is quite amusing to see that the signs often change with almost every bike. Sometimes around + or - 5MPH.

The ones I've driven past always correspond well with the car speedo reading (in modern cars). Perhaps bikes don't give a good enough reflection or offer reflections from several bikes simultaneously even though they are yards apart.

Peter
47p2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern cars usually read about 2 or 3 mph fast, so no excuse for speeding Sad

My 2 Mercs are 2-3 mph fast, my last V-Class was 1mph slow and the Rover P2 is 100% accurate
MVPeters

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a forum thread from earlier this year which may help:

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=54896&sid=9ccad49568e02ab7d720aace1397cbb1
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here: http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_size_calculators.html

Scroll down and there's a calculator that works out the speedo error when using different size tyres.

You could use a SatNav too - my TomTom gives an instantaneous speed readout (best used on a straight flat road for maximum accuracy). GPS is as good a measure of speed that you'll get without having your speedo constantly re-calibrated.

The flashing roadside signs are not to be relied on; one near me is over 5mph out, another is 3mph out.
oldtimer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: speedo accracy Reply with quote

My thanks to all for your input.I never cease to be amazed at the wealth of knowledge on matters automotive and the readiness to impart same to other forum members like myself.
There are aspects which I had never even thought of,like Jim Walker's info regarding the implications for meters on taxis,and Peter's comments that even the difference after fitting new tyres could influence matters.I must now confess to Riley 541 that I am a true dinosaur,having neither possession nor knowledge of Sat Nav,Idon't have a mobile phone either!
However this could well have potential in this context and I thank him for it.
oldtimer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: