classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Reggie's Home - Jaguar 420G
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Richard H

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car-Nut wrote:
My front seal has like a black mastic \ sealer round it any suggestions for removing this off the bodywork when the old seal is off Question

Thanks in advance.

I used a stanley knife to scrape the worst of mine off. I also used it to quickly cut through the old seal and get the windscreen out. Putting it back in will probably be a bit of a battle though. You need to use some very strong string (proper farmers twine is the stuff to use) otherwise it will snap when you've got half the screen in and you will have to start again. That's the mistake I made Embarassed

Due to the size of the Jag screen, I would seriously consider ringing round for some quotes from local windscreen fitters - £30-40 or so is a lot cheaper than replacing the screen and saves a lot of hassle Smile

Good luck Smile
Peter_L

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car Nut.

I read your post about plenty of labelling. These days, the prolific use of a digital camera can't be overlooked. With so many, really cheap, old computers about, every garage should have one.

Post all the photos into something like MS Word. and one has the ability to add arrows and notes etc right onto the photo.

Note: MS Word - Views - Toolbar - Picture, provides an option to compress all the images saved in word. 30 images can be compressed at 200 DPI to around 3 Mb. So even the most modest USB sticks can hold a lot of photos.

This creates a step by step library of how things came apart, provides an easy way to ask for advice, quotes, opinions etc..... and all done with writing that can be deciphered months or years afterwards.

Send the documents to a web based e-mail for security backup and copy everything to a USB stick for portability and editing in the comfort of the house.

With images on the old computer, a USB and e-mail server, they are likely safer than in a single paper folder.
Car-Nut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterwpg wrote:
Car Nut.

I read your post about plenty of labelling. These days, the prolific use of a digital camera can't be overlooked. With so many, really cheap, old computers about, every garage should have one.

Post all the photos into something like MS Word. and one has the ability to add arrows and notes etc right onto the photo.

Note: MS Word - Views - Toolbar - Picture, provides an option to compress all the images saved in word. 30 images can be compressed at 200 DPI to around 3 Mb. So even the most modest USB sticks can hold a lot of photos.

This creates a step by step library of how things came apart, provides an easy way to ask for advice, quotes, opinions etc..... and all done with writing that can be deciphered months or years afterwards.

Send the documents to a web based e-mail for security backup and copy everything to a USB stick for portability and editing in the comfort of the house.

With images on the old computer, a USB and e-mail server, they are likely safer than in a single paper folder.

Peter,

Youre right about the digital camera, now its an important part of the toolkit now, I used to use an old point and shoot but working on Reggie I find I need one of my other cameras as well with a wide angle lens on.

Eveything I do I take lots of pics plus a run a Project Thread ( http://etype-forum.top-board.com/ ) for my cars. Also all my pictures are on my MAC which sorts them datewise.

Getting back to the car, all the dash is out now, I'll post some pics tomorrow when Ive uploaded them to my 'bucket
'70 420G - 17th from last RHD
Car-Nut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest update..

All the wood is now out and Im left with a a spaghetti of wires with lots of white masking tape labels Smile

I've also been to the french polishers to take the dash I took out:

Plus to veiw some of the wood he has started working on:

With all the wood out I took out my last arm chair, sorry I meant front seat, then took out all the roofline trim.

Headlining being done due to a leaking rear seal

Car-Nut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since Ive last been on Ive been working all I can at the week-ends on Reggie and as i work away i take parts with me to work in my apartments in the evenings.

With the interior all stripped out I took michael1703 advice and got some lads to do the seals on the screen, there first visit was short as the wrong rubbers were sent Evil or Very Mad

With those now sorted Im awaiting the rechroming of the front seal before that is refitted.

I collect all the wood this saturday and hopefully next saturday the trim.

But I have done some trimming myself

While the insides have been out I have finally got the spanners out.....

Air intake pipe off and the carbs came off for a rebuild it was great doing them on my dinning room table at my apartment at home I would of been in my cold workshop Sad

As well as that, when I romoved the carbs I noticed my steering column gaiter was perished

A question for you guys:-

The shaft that goes from the steering wheel down through the
bulkhead

Is held in place by a thrust bearing below

Mine got a bit chewed removing, it is useable but I would really
like to replace it. Im having problems sourcing a new one, does
anybody have one on a spares car, or one laying in the workshop. If
so please advise how much you want for it, happy to pay shipping
from anywhere in the world.

My cars a 420G but as Jauar used the same parts on many cars Im
sure it will have been used on many 1960 -> 1970s Jaguars.

Any help appreciated Smile
Car-Nut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

420G March Update

With working away every free minute is pent on getting Reggie back together at the week-end.
Plus Ive been bringing parts down to my apartment during the week to help speed the rebuild process along.

In brief this is whats been done in March.

The three carbs were removed, refurbed and rebuilt, more on that when refitted and tuned.. I decided to do this myself as on my E-Type I paid about £400 which I was told by some guys was cheap…

Anyway I digress…

With the last carb off I noticed the steering column gaiter had perished this was easy to source but a few other issues reared their head.

Firstly I couldn’t get the socket off as I couldn’t get the pin out with my smallish vice, so I got a friend to do the job. Next I want to replace the thrust bearing this I couldn’t locate for love nor money. In the end another friend came to the rescue he told me to source some material and one of his staff in the machine room would make it.(these were delivered to me Wednesday he made me a couple)

So why all this was going on I refurbed the LSC, the UJ was fine so I didnt make work for myself

Fitted a better steering wheel, this was such an easy job on the E…..

All the wood came back from the French polishers and I re flocked the glove box

The seals got relaced and the chromes refitted

All my trim came back and the guy came and did the new headlining, at the same time all the vynil went off

Door cars came off, the picture shows there knackered..

But the inner doors are fine

Rebuilt the wood that needed it

Swapped the steering column bearings out

Done lots more beside but …….. more anon
P3steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant believe how quick its all coming together it only seems like a few weeks ago that you picked it up, I do a lot of work on my kitchen table after all tha'ts what there made for isn't it?
Car-Nut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only get away with working on my dining table down in my apartment I wouldn't at "home"

The car is actually more advanced than the update a lot of wood is in but I'll do those pics when the front seats are in.

I need to get it done ASAP as my classic jaguar hire company is now set up.

Bookings not being taken on Reggie till next April though....
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When replacing window glasses use a silk cord to pull the seal in i do not know if these are still available today but i still have mine from way back [40yrs] silk was used because it slip's easy compared to cord.
Car-Nut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Churchill Johnson wrote:
When replacing window glasses use a silk cord to pull the seal in i do not know if these are still available today but i still have mine from way back [40yrs] silk was used because it slip's easy compared to cord.

I dont think that nationwide use Silk Laughing

But joking apart the 2 lads who did them did a good job, just waiting for the chromes to come back for the front and then that will be sorted as well..
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking good.
I often take bits off my rover and clean them up and refurb them indoors.There's something strangely satisfying about carrying them back again in triumph,all polished and gleaming.
Car-Nut

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing glue from paint work

Best product that wont ruin the paint Question
FrazzleTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend autoglym intensive tar remover. In the past I've found it ideal for such jobs.
Car-Nut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrazzleTC wrote:
I'd recommend autoglym intensive tar remover. In the past I've found it ideal for such jobs.

Thanks Frazzle TC.

I ordered 5l in the week after doing some research...

I worked well Wink
Car-Nut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

April 2011 Update

Ok Gents here goes I best rack my brains what happened in April.

If I remember correct all my parts were back or coming back from the tradesman, so it was time to refit the lounge, sorry I mean interior.

With the english wool cloth items back from the re trimmers things got re -installed

The drivers front seat as the the top of the back section had had the vinyl re-trimmed

Align the seats when refitting

The massive 27" seat sqab refitted.

Newly trimmed console back in. Plus cant rails and all the other wood

The lower woolcloth section fiited on the back of the front seat

Pincnic table and trim refitted.

The wooden dash also got fitted

Mays to follow soon..............
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: