classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

dead battery?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
D4B

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I managed a Motor Factors for 10 years, and the battery manufacturers always advised us to keep the batteries on pallets
rather than on the concrete floors (Tungston, Exide & Bosch)
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, Google seems to have an answer for everything

http://www.thebatteryterminal.com/TechTalk_Batteries_on_Concrete.htm

Plausible ?
captain bobo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a theory I came across suggesting that capacitive discharge leakage takes place. The theory suggests that the battery base acts as a dielectric layer and, of course, the battery itself is charged positively compared to the ground (concrete).

Regardless of whether or not this theory is true, I've conducted elementary tests in my garage. After fully charging, I put one battery on the concrete floor, the other on a shelf. I then fully recharge them after the one on the floor drains & then swap them over. It's always the one on the floor that drains first.

The concrete is inevitable colder than the ambient air temperature in the garage, but that's about the only other variable I can think of.

The last battery that I purchased had an enclosed warning leaflet telling me not to keep the it on the ground in storage. Didn't explain why though.

Best wishes, Dave B
JohnDale

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconsdozen wrote:
A lot of the jump leads on sale are hopeless for starting anything where the battert is flat.It really is a case of buying the best you can,heavy thick copper cables and really strong clamps.
I've seen some imported things where the thin aluminium cables are simply pushed into the end of the clamps which are then squeezed shut probably with a pair of pliers.They get hot as soon as any real current is put through them.
You get what you pay for.

I got a pair of jumper leads more years ago than I like to remember which (still)take two hands to open the clamps - used to complain about that but they are still going strong,cheers,JD.
emmerson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Range Rover has been a bit reluctant to go in the mornings, although the battery is only two years old, with a four year guarantee. I recently had to leave it for a week, so charged it up, then disconnected it, but left it on the car. On my return, I connected it up, but it was too low to start the car. I took it back to my supplier with the receipt, but he said that of course it would go flat after a week, and refused to honour the guarantee!
My Vovo has a seven-year old battery on it, and is often left for six weeks and still fires instantly.
I've since bought a new battery from a different supplier, and I'm still debating whether or not to bother taking the case further.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Volvo sometimes struggles a bit after sub-zero nights, I put a solar trickle charger on it and it seems (touch wood) fine. Not a proper solution I know, but it seems to be enough.

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing not mentioned, which I have come across several times, is that the battery terminals to main leads can be unable to handle starter current which can be as high as 200 Amps.
Typically, when this happens everything works until the starter operates (or rather doesn't).
The fault usually generates a lot if heat at the bad connection which can be detected by touch. CAREFULLY because fingers can be burnt.
Jim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: