classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MGB GT V8 build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
3xpendable

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad i'm not alone Dave. Yeah dad put 4 coats of undercoat on (Buy Vapourmatic, its only about £12 a tin and its great) but we still had some 'pickling' so its taken a while to sort that.

SO CLOSE!! We couldn't topcoat the car this weekend for a few reasons:

1. There were two tiny areas that reacted with old paint, so had to be flatted back and treated, then re-coated with undercoat. That was done today.
2. It was extremely windy and rainy this weekend with thunderstorms too, and with the way the polytunnel was flapping around all sorts of dust and dirt would have ended up on the car, so as stated in the previous thread its getting painted next weekend, fingers crossed!

I must admit the prep paint has been about 40 hours between my brother and I, and has really put me off doing another car! However yesterday i did 'stonechip effect' the sills and rear valence. We do this to our cars for protection and on the B its so low you don't really see it. So with that done, here is how the old girl sits now until next weekend:

As we couldn't do anything with that, I took a gamble and had a go at wrinkle painting the dash. I bought some decent paint and had a go on some cardboard on Friday, which given it says it needs above 16ºC and <35% humidity and I used it in about 13ºC and 75% humidity, was pleasantly surprised that it wrinkled!

The tin said "if wrinkles do not appear, re-apply" so I though stuff it, why not? Whats the worst than can happen? I have a thing against paying people to do things I can do myself. I enjoy the challenge, and the fact when the car is built I can say "I did that, and that, and that was a bugger" rather than "I paid that much to have the dash done, that much on a paint job" etc.

So when it came to it, I chickened out and passed the job over to dad!! I heated the dash gently with a fan heater first then kept it heated in between each of 3 coats applied at 5 minute intervals. Even though it was an October day in Wales (check Google for how wet and windy and cold that can be), it started wrinkling pretty soon and when i left it, most of it has wrinkled. I checked it this morning and it was ace! First attempt too!!! Here is a close up

So, it takes 24 hours to harden, and this evening I re-assembled the glove compartment lid after cleaning all the parts, and here's how it looks. The wrinkles aren't 100% uniform, but the angle this picture is taken at shows them worse than they are, and isn't an angle you'll see in the car.

I've been admiring it and the dashboard with a smug look all evening, and will start fitting relevant bits tomorrow.

1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa (Uncle)
1971 MGB GT (V8 project) -SOLD 2016
2005 MINI Cooper S JCW - SOLD 2016
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done, looking really good

kev
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

were did you buy the wrinkle paint from, did you spray it on or brushed on?
And if sprayed was it an aerosol?
I want some for my mini for when I build the dashes to look like the works coopers had!
Keep in mind I'm in Malta though!!

And by the way great job on that MG.
3xpendable

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Bobs its an aerosol, I got it from Frost's but it can be had from most places.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really effective that stuff isn't it

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
bob2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks welshie, if I do not find any locally, I'll order from Frosts then!
3xpendable

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before

After!!!

The sun was shining and there was no wind, so I was up at the crack of dawn and getting the garage warmed up and cleaned the best I could. Dad arrived and heated & mixed the paint and then I hid and left him to it while working on a Volvo (wow). Here are some more pictures:

Its pretty good for a home job. There is some areas that picked up some dust and debris but dad put multiple coats on so there is plenty of paint to work with when buffing it up. He got one run which he was kicking himself about but he certainly did better than I could! Yes the interior and engine bay are a lighter colour but in the case of the interior you wont see it, and a V8 fills the engine bay most efficiently. I used some old paint we had from the donor car for those parts but wanted the actual car darker, and i'm pleased with it.

Now onto any paint experts. We had three areas of the car (the top rear of both rear wings and a small part of the B pillar) that reacted and wrinkled up when we put undercoat on them. The car as seen earlier had been flatted back to the original yellow top coat in most places. But these 3 areas 'pickled' when undercoated. We flatted them back and redid them and they pickled again. My brother ha the same problem on his car and cured it with a cellulose isolator. He put some on the affected areas and it seemed to cure it. A few days ago we applied undercoat to those areas again and it didn't react at all. Great, no problem. BUT it reacted with the 2 pack topcoat. Interestingly not right away, and only on ONE of the three areas affected, and the reaction was far worse than we'd ever had before. Attached is a picture of the affected area. Any ideas why its reacting? I think my only option is to go back to bare metal there.

ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

That reaction looks to me as if the primer wasn't fully cured, how much time elapsed between priming and the 2k top coat?

Cheers

Dave

Edit just read your post properly ! And the primer was on for a few days. I still think it's the primer not properly cured, possibly it could have been thicker here?...I'd cut the blistered paint back, then get a bit of gentle heat on the affected area from a hair dryer or heat gun, then put re-paint, I don't think going back to metal is necessary.

Dave

Last edited by ukdave2002 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
3xpendable

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 week!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welshie wrote:
1 week!

Just read your post properly ! And the primer was on for a few days. I still think it's the primer not properly cured, possibly it could have been thicker here?...I'd cut the blistered paint back, then get a bit of gentle heat on the affected area from a hair dryer or heat gun, then re-paint, I don't think going back to metal is necessary

Dave
D4B

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the pickly bit ~ if it were mine I'd be very happy !

Well done Cool
3xpendable

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys
3xpendable

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother has been busy sorting out the damaged paintwork while I have begun cutting back and polishing some of the paint on areas where trim and things need to be fitted. I'm not going to cut and polish the whole car until the final parts are painted then I can do it all in one go.

In the meantime I've been fitting the wiring loom and various appendages under the dash such as the fresh air flap, grommets and heater pipes. I had quite a lot of trouble getting the flap to latch close correctly, after some cursing I spaced out the hinges so it sat more square and it now works perfectly. The windscreen vent pipes seem to interfere with it when its open but I have to keep reminding myself that this is a 60's designed car, and you wont see these things when its built up.

I fitted the wiper linkage and motor, along with the vent trim and mesh. I painted the mesh silver and it looks ok I think. I've decided that trims and similar don't have to be perfect as I can replace them as and when I want when the car is running. There is no point having a mint car if its sitting in a garage on blocks. I had to source a used dash top, because my C/B one wouldn't fit this shell, it needed a lot of cleaning and again while its not perfect I managed to get it acceptable after a while and waxed it.

And then I fitted the dash Smile

I plan to trial fit the dials and sort out the wiring next week, along with fitting up the rear brakes, interior trim and hopefully brake lines.
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car looks good - nice work Cool
3xpendable

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a while since I updated on here I see, sorry I forgot.

Still waiting to repaint the rear wing until the weather is better, that will be done nearer the summer but I;ve been building up the mechanicals in earnest. The wiring loom is now in as is the dash and the fuel tank:

Engine has gone from looking like this:

to this:

Hopeing to fire it up for the first time next month, then it will be just the interior & external trim to install and finishing the removeable panels (bonnet, boot, doors, front wings etc)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: