Article header
Parts
Homepage. This page: Photograph of a London street includes a rare Healey Tickford car, and an LEB electric van.

Healey Tickford.

A number of classic cars and commercials can be seen in this 1954 shot of a London street. Most interesting to me is the car in the centre of the photo, facing the camera, for it is a rare Healey Tickford, a coachbuilt two-door coupe that was built from 1950 to 1954. The distinctive radiator grille, and smaller side grilles pointing downwards, are the main giveaways. Unfortunately the sun's reflection on the front of the car prevent its registration being read. In all, 224 examples are believed to have been built, making this Tickford-bodied Healey a rare machine even in its day.
Fans of unusual vehicles will also spot the box-like van parked to the left of shot. The livery on the rear doors confirms its operator as being the LEB, or London Electricity Board. It's HYN 811 registration suggest that this vehicle, an electric van (possibly a Brush), first whirred into action in 1947. Just visible to its left is an E-Series Vauxhall. Negotiating its way past the Healey's front wing is a taxi, in hot pursuit of a Crosse & Blackwell food lorry which is in the process of avoiding another E-Series Vauxhall and a parked Morris J Type van, while a Morris PV van awaits its opportunity to move forwards.
(Please click the thumbnail to view full-size image.)
Healey Tickford car in London
The Donald Healey Motor Company Ltd was formed in 1945, and started out building its own chassis utilising many Riley mechanicals, such as their 2.4 litre twin cam engine. Early fixed-head cars were bodied by coachbuilder Elliott. There was also a roadster, known as the Healey Westland, and the Sportmobile.
The Healey Tickford, a model commissioned by Brooklands of Bond Street - a Healey agent - went on sale in 1950, with Healey supplying the running chassis and Tickford clothing it. Autocar quoted the car's top speed as 102 mph from its 104 bhp engine, with 60 mph being achievable from standstill in a sprightly 14.6 seconds. The exterior bodywork was in aluminium, over an ash frame. Early Tickfords featured enclosed rear wheel spats, and spotlamps alongside the grille rather than the small grilles that would replace them in 1951. By this time an asking price of 1,854 (including Purchase Tax) was being asked.
Sold alongside the Tickford saloon was an open-top version, built by Abbott of Farnham.
Return to Page 15 in the gallery of vintage cars and vehicles.

Custom Search
www.oldclassiccar.co.uk (C) R. Jones. Content not to be reproduced elsewhere.
Website by ableweb.
Privacy Policy, Cookies & Disclaimers