classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1947 Hillman Minx Steel Sunroof
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's definitely the same roof as mine. Mine doesn't seem to drop enough when you pull it back and its therefore scraped paint off the surface Crying or Very sad
47Jag

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

As Peter said earlier this roof is the same/very simillar to the one on our Jaguars. Attached are some pictures of the mechanism. If you need more just ask.

This is the right side showing the sunroof clamp (the bronze part) and the link going to the rear where there is a square loop the raises/lowers the sunroof.

This is the relay link detail. The wider bar pushes the bronze clamp, the narrow one goes to the rear. This probably where yours is seized.

If you feel through the headliner on each side with a fingertip about 4" from the front edge and an inch or so in you might find a hole. You insert a thin screwdriver in here and push up the disengage the roof clamp (in theory at least). If it's seized though I doubt it.
I hope this helps

Art
pigtin

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off on honeymoon 1964. The Hillman was looking a bit scruffy even then.
It performed faultlessly until I hoarded enough money to buy a VW.

Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always liked the Minx, nice lines and style and we have found them to be very reliable and durable!
Pistolboogie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisD wrote:
Sorry for the delay. Here are the pics I promised. You can't see the mechanism as such but its almost certain its never been dismantled. The roof drops down about an inch (compare 4th & 6th pics) when opened into a box section in the rear of the roof. As far as I can see it runs on a sort of lip (see last pic). This car was purchased new in early 1939.

Many thanks for the pics, thats most useful. I managed to remove the sunroof altogether at the weekend which was not easy but it has revealed many pieces of old wood and wadding rammed into the sliding channel! I made some progress getting all lights working. the brake drums were soaked in Bilt Hammer Deox c and came out like new ready for skimming. Will be greasing the mechanism this weekend and hopefully going for a spin on new rubber!
Pistolboogie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
Phil,

As Peter said earlier this roof is the same/very simillar to the one on our Jaguars. Attached are some pictures of the mechanism. If you need more just ask.

This is the right side showing the sunroof clamp (the bronze part) and the link going to the rear where there is a square loop the raises/lowers the sunroof.

This is the relay link detail. The wider bar pushes the bronze clamp, the narrow one goes to the rear. This probably where yours is seized.

If you feel through the headliner on each side with a fingertip about 4" from the front edge and an inch or so in you might find a hole. You insert a thin screwdriver in here and push up the disengage the roof clamp (in theory at least). If it's seized though I doubt it.
I hope this helps

Art

Thats great, yes the mechanism is exactly the same so I'm undergoing some repairs, lubrication! Does anybody know where i can get some of the weatherproofing stuff from?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: