classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Austin Eight Horn/Trafficator Switch
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is a pic of a Morris 8 SE box, looks very similar to the Austin parts pic Rick posted, I think there is a olive in the nut at the bottom?

Dave

Stephen Fulcher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Those you have look the same as the one that I have on the car. The picture of the steering box is the same as the one that is shown in the workshop manual, but unfortunately not the one that is fitted to my car.

The tube which the wires are carried up the column with is loose after slackening the yellow locking nut that I circled above, but I am concerned that I could do more damage if I "encourage" the tube to move.

I do need to get the thing out of the car somehow though as I cannot replace or repair the switches unless I do.

Any ideas?
47Jag

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen,

Having loosened the clamp should allow the tube to move upwards. If you feel you have to 'presuade' the tube I would suggest lightly grasping the cable where it comes out of the tube and tap upwards. The last thing you want is to distort the tube. Looking at Dave's box of switches I reckon that the one at the bottom right would be the one you want/need. I thought there would be a plate at the top but looking at the pictures I see there is another clamp on the top of the tube. Are you going to re-wire the switch?

Art
Classicars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I am reading with interest as I have both cars mentioned in your discussion. Apart from the Austin Devon which I have recently restored, I also have an 1946 Austin 8. The steering system on both cars is the same. I have removed the steering tubes from both cars obviously on different occasions. Once you have loosened the brass nut and you find difficulty to push the tube upwards probably the reason to this is that the end of the tube just below the brass nut is a bit flared. I came across this problem on the Austin 8 probably it was hammered by the previous owner. All you have to do is to slightly file around the tube just below the brass nut to remove any burrs with a worn file and check continuosly by pulling the bakelite switch from the interior. This will surely help as I had to do this myself. I do not suggest hammering. Hope this helps.
Regards Victor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: