classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1947 Austin Eight AS1 six light saloon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
British heritage cars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Lovely little car! Very Happy it's the greatest feeling!
Reg Shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly was a great feeling and has given me a kick in the right direction. Its not running good though, good spark at all plugs but it sounds like its running on three. Plus it only runs with a lot of choke. Guessing a fuel starvation issue I stripped the carb again to confirm it was assembled right, then stripped the lift pump, blew out the fuel lines back to the tank, but that didn't make any difference. I now suspect perhaps duff fuel, though I was sure it was good petrol into an empty tank Crying or Very sad Next thing for me to try is a separate fuel feed to the lift pump from a separate tank, does that sound best? Also, the starter was never any good and I've decided to give it a coat of looking at so its been removed, On inspection, it needs new brushes mainly. Anyone know if they are available off the shelf? The starter is a Lucas M35G L-2 250405E. They appear to be of the solder in variety.

Ian.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it'll only run on choke, have you removed and blown through all the jets in the carb?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Reg Shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick, all jets have been removed and soaked and blown through, all setting screws removed blown and replaced. I'll try running from new pipework and tank next and try again. This will confirm the feed, tank issue which will see the tank removed for a flushing out.

Cheers, Ian.
Reg Shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No news on the fueling issues but the starter has been removed and dismantled and it scrubbed up quite well. New (old) springs on the brushes plus reinsulating one brush wire and the lot reassembled, it spins a treat! The main issue with it was with the switch on the end, the plates were all blackened and cruddy, but a few swipes of emery and they were smooth and flat again. The commutator thingy is in pretty good order too, no massive marks or grooves, happy days. I'll hopefully get some fresh fuel to it this week fingers crossed.

Ian.

[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: