classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hamilton Toronto Airport
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation
dpr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Hamilton Toronto Airport Reply with quote

Pull into the airport last weekend returning to the Uk.

A magnificent sound overhead.

A Lancaster bomber flying low, about 200ft.
What a sight and sound.

Don't think there are more than a few flying now.
Almost worth the trip just to see that.

Last edited by dpr on Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great when you see an oldie in flight, the other evening I ran out of the garage to see a pair of Tiger Moths pootling over in the sky above.

best 'lucky' sighting was a Lockheed Constellation that was being flown over as a one-off from the States to somewhere in Europe. I'd read about it in the Flypast mag a few days before, but never expected to see it. I was out for a walk during my lunch hour at work, and it flew over fairly low, its silver fuselage glinting in the sun - looked fantastic, one of my all-time favourites

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Scotty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have minded being there with you dpr just to see that. Very Happy

In the 1980's I worked part time in a garage in East Kilbride, close to the Rolls Royce factory that refurbishes aircraft engines, where one day I was dealing with a customer inside the building when we both heard one of the most chilling engine growls I'd ever heard. We both looked at each other and I said I've got to see what's pulled onto the forecourt as it's got to be at least 7 or 8 litres.

As we walked out there was nothing there, we looked around and the place was deserted - what had we heard? Confused

From right behind and above us came the most magnificent sight I'd seen in years - a Supermarine Spitfire going balls out flying over the Rolls Royce factory, then doing a 360 degree roll above its roof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked
Please believe me when I say I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that we (and the workers in Rolls Royce) were treated to one of the best impromptu air displays I'd even seen - no words can express what it felt like watching this beautiful aircraft and feeling the thunderous heartbeat of its Rolls Royce engine - this was / is an example of British engineering at its very best.

A few years later I was once again treated to a similar display over the Rolls Royce factory, except this time it was a wonderful old Lancaster buzzing the factory in graceful splendour as it droned over the its roofs in a number of low level passes - absolutely wonderful.

As a sort of Post Script to this - I was a show in RAF Leuchars just outside St Andrews on the east coast of Scotland, where the Battle of Britain flight was the star attraction. The most remarkable thing that sticks in my memory was the sheer level of engine noise coming from the Lancaster compared to a later fly past by an American "Flying Fortress" - its radials were whisper quiet compared to the Merlin's.
gillberry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming back from gatwick (spares car on the back) up the A12 we pulled into a little chef (toilet break) and while I was waiting for my other half I looked up and saw a plane looping the loop and doing twists and turns , thought nothing of it as this was essex and there are lot of small planes round there , anyway I heard a glorious engine noise and looked up , not being big on planes i could'nt tell you if it was a spitfire or a hurricane but boy it sounded superb possibly one of the best sounds in the world and I like v8's . Very Happy
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gillberry, sorry to disappoint you, but Merlins were V12's.... Very Happy

UJ
62rebel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the sound of the merlin was as deadly as the guns on the 'plane.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: