classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ford of England Diesel?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
62rebel

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Ford of England Diesel? Reply with quote

on a stateside forum dedicated to the Ford Falcon a great deal of interest has been shown in converting to diesel. one of the prerequisites among our group is maintaining Ford power in our cars; hence my query as to what English Ford passenger or light duty truck engines were diesels and were they actually made by Ford or badge-engineered.
given a kerb weight between 1500kilos and 1800, the Falcons in question are roughly the same size as your Ford Zephyr, so roughly the same power needed to shift that car would do well in a Falcon. all replies welcome; thanks, Reb.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi reb,

In the 1960's British Ford car range, I dont remember any with original diesels, but I guess that there must have been some!

Ford Transits were fitted with Diesels, but these were from Perkins.

If you are looking for a true Ford motor, then your best bet is to look at either the Thames Trader, or the later D series. Both of these lorries were fitted with 4 and 6 cylinder motors that should fit a Falcon very nicely...

UJ
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did any of the German Ford Taunus cars have oil burners fitted to them?

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have loads of those here, but I've never seen a single diesel....I cant say for certain that they never did one though. Embarassed

I couldnt imagine it would be difficult to get hold of a Trader motor though...if memory serves, the four is about 3.6 litre, the six somewhat larger, and I know where those used to be really common lorries, as does at least one other on this forum..... Smile

UJ
62rebel

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i'll have to do is determine the engine's profile dimensions so i can give you chaps a better idea what i want. the falcon fellows i associate with are interested in converting to diesel for fuel economy foremost, but in our group the engine has to be Ford, Ford owned, or used by Ford in regular usage. on our side of the pond we get the Mazda connection but little else. i had thought that there was a diesel Sierra, but i must have been wrong. the actual YEAR of the power unit is (relatively!) unimportant; the physical dimensions are the crucial item. it's not a critical info thing; just a line of thought we're working through to keep our falcons a viable and responsible form of transport.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the engine only has to be 'used by Ford in regular usage' then the obviousone is not the Trader unit, but the Perkins, as used in the Ford Transit. These are 'modular' so one of them has to fit.....

One question is though, why fit a diesel? I've seen V8's that will turn 25mpg (US gallon) if they are modified correctly. Wasnt there a 600bhp Mustang flying around a couple of years ago that did this mileage?

Remember, you cant get a V8 sound from a Diesel!

UJ
62rebel

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

part of it is the challenge; the other is that a lot of modding has to be done to get over 20mpg from a v8. getting a v8 into a Falcon isn't as straightforward as it may seem either; i've built 3 or 4 and every one has been a challenge. diesels routinely deliver 35-40mpg and sometimes more! perkins diesels are available here as marine power but i can't imagine their being substantially different from vehicle use.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over here, we pay about $6 per US gallon for gas, and pre mid 70's US cars are really popular. Though I have heard of the odd one that has fitted a diesel, usually from VW, it is only the odd one.

I know that gas is way cheaper in the States, which again begs the question, why? Surely it cant just be the challenge?

UJ
62rebel

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ, while our gas prices are catching up, it's not just the cost of fuel. some of us are very interested in doing the biodiesel bit, and it seems the older the diesel design , the better suited it is to using biodiesel. i'm also very curious on building an electric car, but info on that is easy to find.
diesels also have lengthy lifespans versus petrol engines.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I dont really like the diesel idea, I do have another engine suggestion for you, though I'm not sure it would be acceptable.

Do you have any diesel Volvos over there? Volvo is a Ford company anyway, and from the odd conversion here, I know that the engines they use (a six cylinder) will fit....

I'm only trying to help on this because a) you are originally from Virginia and b) I used to date a girl from that state!

UJ
62rebel

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sort of like six degrees of separation! volvo might be acceptable, i hadn't researched that connection. i'm not only from Virginia, but descendant of the Lee's of Robt. E. and Light Horse Harry ilk. so, i'm more British inside than it would seem.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, dont forget that especially older style diesels have some disadvantages as well...

UJ
john-saab

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "D" series engine may be compact enough to go in the car...the 6 cylinder may be a bit long...the 4 cylinder with the correct gearbox would work well... they are a bit noisy...but VERY tough and would last for ages IF (A) you can find one (B) get one to the states.
There is also the A Series but it might be even more difficult to find.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: