classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Brake squeal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
pigtin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Brake squeal. Reply with quote

Ever since I put my "restored" Sprite Mk4 back on the road in April last year there has been an annoying squeal from the front disc brakes after a few miles. 'The Memsahib' complained bitterly about it and I dismissed her complaints as her being fussy.
A couple of weeks ago I drove the car wearing my hearing aids and the noise actually hurt (I rarely wear them when driving because it causes me to worry about noises from the engine) and I decided something should be done. Having tried everything else I phoned the 'Welsh MG centre' and they suggested 'Anti squeal shims'; absolute magic! after tolerating the problem for 4k miles a mere 10 minutes work was all it took. There now, I have admitted to having a car modern enough to have disc brakes.
Don.
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tip I picked up years ago is to put a thin coating of Copper grease on the backs of pads where they contact with the caliper pistons, and on the lugs that hold the pads in place. They need a quick wipe with white spirit to get rid of the muck it attracts during the annual brake check.

Never had a squeak again, even on the wife's BMWs that were notorious for the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: