classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

VULCAN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It flew right over me on Sat 5th Sept when I was at Blackshaw Moor Caravan Club site near Leek. Must have been on its way back from Rhyl. Seen it before, but it's still awesome.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must have been August 31st - Rhyl was 31/8 and 1/9, and 1/9 was when the leak was discovered.

It seems to have done a bit of a parade lap on the way to or from Rhyl - I read a report somewhere that it was over Liverpool Albert Docks as well.
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite right. The days all merge into one at my age.
vitesse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was based at RAF Wittering in the 80's which was a dispersal site for Vulcans from Scampton and Waddington.

When they played war games against Russia the Vulcans would land at Wittering and when there was a threat of attack they would scramble them for quick dispersal one after another. The ground would shake for about 15 minutes as 20 or so took off in quick formation, basically take off and climb rapidly for the stars. Like this clip but multiply by 20. I sight to behold Very Happy

http://youtu.be/3WL46N60ZWI
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vitesse
I was lucky just to see four do a scramble out of RAF Tengah with the usual max. climb out till out of sight.

We were five miles out from the runway, you could see down the runway from the hill we were on.

We felt the ground tremble five miles away

I'm sure the fourth was rolling as the first left the runway.
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Filton used to be a 2 aircaft dispersal site, the standings were at the A38 end of the runway with deflector shields behind them.
If you were in the airfield side buildings when they started up there was usually time to get to a view point to watch the take off.

ps.
There were probably standings at the other end for when the wind was out of the East but that was over the hill and we wouldn't know if they were there unless we saw them come in.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
vitesse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger-hatchy wrote:
Vitesse
I was lucky just to see four do a scramble out of RAF Tengah with the usual max. climb out till out of sight.

We were five miles out from the runway, you could see down the runway from the hill we were on.

We felt the ground tremble five miles away

I'm sure the fourth was rolling as the first left the runway.

Yes Roger if I remember rightly they did do that, they were rolling almost one after another. I pretty sure they were also using the taxiways as well as the runway to take off, as Wittering had really straight taxiways next to the main runway.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched quite an interesting programme on the TV about the development and life of the Vulcan yesterday, about 1h20 (but under an hour once ads removed). I think it was one of those videos you can buy for a couple of quid, and it was made in 2006 so although there is footage of XH558 it talks very much about it in the past tense.

Some nice early footage though, and nice to see three flying in what appears to be very close formation. Some brief mention on the part it played in the Falklands war towards the very end, and talk of the one that diverted to Brazil and was only allowed to leave when the RAF promised not to use it again in the conflict. A nice but brief clip of it flying over a beach somewhere down there.

It seems they've bought a few of these and show one most morning - around 8am on "Movies4Men" on Freeview, and no, despite the name it's not a "special interest" channel.
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice of the Brazilians to care for the preservation of these amazing planes.

Peter Wink
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching 'Thunderball' the other night, I found myself quite sad when they ditched the Vulcan in the sea.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
Watching 'Thunderball' the other night, I found myself quite sad when they ditched the Vulcan in the sea.

Smile yes we watched it too.

There are photographs around online of the full-size under-water model (front section only) that they built for filming, or rather the remains of it, as it looks today at the bottom of the drink.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
P3steve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to to what remains Rick

http://taylorempireairways.com/2009/12/wreck-of-the-vulcan/
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange that the fibreglass has gone from that - I wonder if it was looted or whether it's just weather damage. I'm imaging that just being in water wouldn't have caused it to disintegrate, given that a lot of boat hulls are made from the same stuff.

I'd figured it was a model, but I'm surprised someone didn't half-inch it for a garden ornament after filming was finished.

I'll have to dig out the DVD and see if the 'making of' feature has anything about it. I have them all, but I don't really watch the older ones as I find a lot of films of that age hard to watch - witness the superimposing of the background when Bond is 'driving' in Dr No for example. But the 'making of' features on some of the DVDs are very interesting if you've an hour to kill.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
Strange that the fibreglass has gone from that - I wonder if it was looted or whether it's just weather damage. I'm imaging that just being in water wouldn't have caused it to disintegrate, given that a lot of boat hulls are made from the same stuff.

I'd figured it was a model, but I'm surprised someone didn't half-inch it for a garden ornament after filming was finished.

I'll have to dig out the DVD and see if the 'making of' feature has anything about it. I have them all, but I don't really watch the older ones as I find a lot of films of that age hard to watch - witness the superimposing of the background when Bond is 'driving' in Dr No for example. But the 'making of' features on some of the DVDs are very interesting if you've an hour to kill.

I believe it was blown up after filming, leaving just the steel skeleton.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XL317 d/d 07/06/1962, to Akrotiri, Cyprus for Ground Instruction, scrapped. 1987
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: